Canon 1014 vs 814

Rui Resende

Hi.

I'm considering to buy a super8 camera. I've had some experience, and by now i even have my own set of necessary material to start shooting. But i've been using a very old Kodak M6 which is becoming more and more unreliable.

Now i'm checking the 814 and the 1014, both autozoom electronic. The question is, do you think it's worth paying the difference between both cameras? I've been analysing the differences in characteristics, and i'm trying to understand wether the 1014 will provide me with real practical value, comparing to the 814.

Appreciate comments on this, if you have had experience with both or one of these cameras.

P.S. - paralel to these cameras, i've also been checking a Bauer 512, if anyone has anything to say.

thanks

• Premium Member

Don't rule out the straight "Autozoom" versions (without the "electronic" part). These are rock solid cameras built like tanks with great lenses. The electronic version added slow motion at 40fps and a "magnetic release" which doesn't really mean anything to us.

Main differences between a 814 and a 1014:

• 1014 has slightly more powerful zoom
  • 1014 can do lap dissolves (rewind film slightly and cross fade a transition)
  • 1014 is bigger and heavier (which says something because the 814 is a brick)
  • 1014 has a faster speed at 54fps for more dramatic slow motion

Most important thing is cost. If you get a better deal on an 814, go for that one. Size matters and having a smaller camera is handy sometimes.

Another thing about the non-electronic 814 is that it has a mechanical manual exposure setting. This means it will work even if the meter is shot.

Either camera is good-- but if you're in the market seriously, why don't you check out the 512 or some of the Nizos?

thanks a lot for the quick answers.

Will, thanks for the comparison between both cameras, now i really tend to the 814, in the options between the 2 canon. the 40fps the electronic version allows may be of interest to me.

The 512 is tempting, but also more expensive. Plus, some friends have told me the Canon cameras are, by principle, more reliable than Bauer, more solid, less probability that it will fail on me. I've only had a very short experience with a 1014, and none with any Bauer camera so i wouldn't know.

Thanks again for the answers.

thanks a lot for the quick answers.

Will, thanks for the comparison between both cameras, now i really tend to the 814, in the options between the 2 canon. the 40fps the electronic version allows may be of interest to me.

The 512 is tempting, but also more expensive. Plus, some friends have told me the Canon cameras are, by principle, more reliable than Bauer, more solid, less probability that it will fail on me. I've only had a very short experience with a 1014, and none with any Bauer camera so i wouldn't know.

Thanks again for the answers.

With the exception of the 1014E being a large and heavy camera, it is superior in every way!

• 1 month later...

The 1014xl is a "wrist killer", but it allows you to disengage the power zoom servo and go to a fully manual, smooth zoom. The 814xl allows manual zoom, but there is no disengage switch and tends to be a little "sticky.' This bummed me out as it slowed downed snap zooms for quick focus checks, etc.

I reckon the 814 is the better camera, but the pick of the litter, i think, is the 814 electronic. The electronic has a 150 degree shutter, which i think helps get a sharp image compared to the older 814 which is 220 degree shutter, better in low light.

If you want some good glass, go the 1218! very front heavy!