CGI DILLEMA!!!

Hello one and all!

I am producing a film that will require some CGI, however I have little idea of how to go about it. :unsure:

The situation....

A single slow tracking shot that moves in on a man asleep on a chair. The light of the window is projected on the wall beside him.

For example.... window-shape-selected.jpg

As the shot tracks in I require shlohettes of birds to fly in and land on the window seal. Now I am not sure if it is possible to obtain highly trained birds to do the job so I was thinking CGI.

Like I said, I really dont know where to begin on this one and so any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Kind regards,

Paul

I might check out some stock footage sites and see if you can find some birds landing on a wire or something similar (with blue sky is ideal). Since you only need it in shadow form the details of the bird are not important.

You could compare that to what it would cost for a 3D person to animate it, but I think the stock footage may be cheaper and obviously look more natural. I've been involved where a particle generator was used for fire, but it was easier and more realistic to use the stock footage in the end.

Tom

BTW, you'll need to use your real name here.

Cheers Tom,

I will look into stock footage, however the birds movements are quite specific and therefore this may not be possible.

Presuming a 3D animator is required, would it be necessary to have him on the shoot? Would it be easier to leave the wall blank and so the both the window and the birds are added, or should we still light the window for the shot.

I can see the tracking nature of the shot making this a very expensive exercise! ;)

Thanks,

You could probably find a freelance 3D artist in London who is able to do all the necessary tasks required.

You could probably get by without having an animator on set, but it would pay to at least talk to the person who will be doing the work before hand. Personally I'd suggest shooting as much as you can practically - so the only thing your adding in is the bird.