Bolex Reflex

Bartlomiej Sienkiewicz

hello.

I am are shooting a short documentary on bolex reflex. I have never used this camera and would like to know how to do a time lapse on it. I heard you can do single frame exposure "T" but I read somewhere that the shutter speed changes from 1/50 to 1/30 (is this the same as shutter angle in 25fps modes)causing overexposure if not compensated.

the other thing is:

has the camera got 1.33:1 gate or 1.85:1 the final product is to be in 1.85:1 s16mm)

And how would I go about it when I want to do telecine to HD.

As I said I have never shot on bolex before (having only used aaton xtr/arri sr3) and wonder about workflow.

thank you very much for your help

Bart

(www.bsienkiewicz.com)

Likely it will have a 1.33 gate - maybe it is super 16 .. in which case it isn't 1.85 it's 1.66 - and we cant tell you ... just look at the gate and see :blink: :ph34r:

T exposure is for as long as you hold it open - you are referring to 'I' mode ... Cant remember how long it is open for, shutter angles (as in the traditional way to think about them) aren't a consideration as the shutter movement is intermittent when using single frame mode

oops, time for tea!

You'll need an intervalometor and a capping shutter. I found this web site that might be of interest. Scroll down and go to "Do it Yourself" and then click on the Bolex Super 16 conversion.

Hey Tom,

Did you mean to include a link? I'm all about do it yourself.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom,

Did you mean to include a link? I'm all about do it yourself.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, I mean to do a lot of things throughout the day. :blink: But, yes, yes I did. Chris did it for me so now I don't have to. Thanks Chris. Tom, nice work, by the way. I checked out your site.

Edited by Tom Jensen

make sure you close the view finder, there's a small lever on the side, this is to avoid light leeks on the film (a mistake I have made numerous times) You will also need an intervolometer, if it's a short shoot (less than one day), you can get away with something like this:

http://www.intervalometers.com/timeflow/index.php

However on longer shoots, there is a risk that the spring will get overwound, so a motor drive timelapse is probably the best option

http://www.intervalometers.com/rev/bolex/index.php

I was under the impression that the built-in shutter on the bolex Rex models would accomplish the same thing. Would an external capping shutter just be added security on long exposures, or is there another benefit to using one?

Have you experienced light leaks while using just the built-in shutter?

To the original poster:

The Tobin TTL is another intervalometer option. Not sure if they are still in production, though I believe Duall has some for sale.

Here is a direct link to the PDF with some shutter speed info:

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/TCS_Public_PDF/TTL.pdf

I was under the impression that the built-in shutter on the bolex Rex models would accomplish the same thing. Would an external capping shutter just be added security on long exposures, or is there another benefit to using one?

Have you experienced light leaks while using just the built-in shutter?

To the original poster:

The Tobin TTL is another intervalometer option. Not sure if they are still in production, though I believe Duall has some for sale.

Here is a direct link to the PDF with some shutter speed info:

http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/TCS_Public_PDF/TTL.pdf

I've only used the Tobin without a capping shutter on interiors and I have used the Norris Intervalometer on exteriors with a capping shutter and have not had a problem with either. The capping shutter may well be added protection. But, it's better safe than sorry.

• Premium Member

There's always the other option. Get up at 4:45 a.m., haul your Bolex and tripod to the spot. Then wind the beast, make sure you're in I mode (I only noticed after quarter of an hour!). And then press the cable release every 15 seconds for over two hours! :D Worked like a charm. Without a capping shutter or an intervalometer. But I guess the next time I'll use a Tobin too!

Cheers, Dave

PS: I hope you can see the result of that adventure soon! Need to cut it...

There's always the other option. Get up at 4:45 a.m., haul your Bolex and tripod to the spot. Then wind the beast, make sure you're in I mode (I only noticed after quarter of an hour!). And then press the cable release every 15 seconds for over two hours! :D Worked like a charm. Without a capping shutter or an intervalometer. But I guess the next time I'll use a Tobin too!

Cheers, Dave

PS: I hope you can see the result of that adventure soon! Need to cut it...

Dave went on to be the Austrian thumb wrestling champion later that day. That was an ambitious effort. Did you change exposure at all or was it pretty even?