my first 3d project

we didn't had the time to built a rig with one laptop

we got the cam's and the computers 2 days before start shooting

we had problem with the software that needed to be solved

for the next project we building a better rig

Are you using a large format camera rail there ?

Hmmm, in the shoots we have done (16mm) in stereo with that much parallax we found the results a bit odd to visualize as 'normal' - as if our heads were scaled up to have eyes that far apart which resulted in the image looking much smaller, but we knew it shouldn't be that small and hence a kind of well, strain.

We used Bolexes butted up as close as we could with timelapse (the motors would separate them too much otherwise) and got better results... Thinking for the next we would shoot one camera upside down so they were both dumb side together - the parallax then would be near on the average interoccular distance (is that the right term? google not much help there...)

it was used just for the extreme long shot with object at 30-50 meter

every time before shooting we did test. we shot 5 sec and then brought it to after effect and test it with 3d

for normal shot we used something between 6.5 - 10 centimeter between the cam

and for closer shoots we brought the cam as closed as we could

Hi Ram,

Why you use 2 laptops to capture the material, if you can capture in one single file with the latest version of the Cineform Raw?.

I looks interesting your 3D rig, upload some shots so we can watch the work.

You need a laptop with at least a Quad Core 2.4 GHz CPU in order to compress Two 1080p/2K Cineform Raw streams in RT.

And that laptop must have independent Buses in order to transport the Uncompressed Raw streams over Gig-e.

In my testings with a Macbook pro 2.4 GHz (Duo 2 Core), I can only record Uncompressed Raw stereo 720/24p to fast drives without dropping frames.

If i use Cineform Raw compression, only one camera at 1080/24p is possible with the Macbook pro...

Cesar Rubio.

Cambridge Wisconsin, USA.

http://www.davidrubio3d.com/

You need a laptop with at least a Quad Core 2.4 GHz CPU in order to compress Two 1080p/2K Cineform Raw streams in RT. Cesar Rubio.

Cambridge Wisconsin, USA.

http://www.davidrubio3d.com/

I didn't know this, we are trying to contact Ari Presler since a few weeks ago because we have some upcoming 3D projects and we wanted the necessary accesories for our SI-2K equipments to do 3D, but he isn't answering his email. I watched some videos of the NAB and in one Jason Rodrigues did 3D shots with one full SI-2K and 2 sensors, I didn't know there was a catch.

Basically AFAIK, I don't know of a current laptop in the market that can record Stereo 1080/24p (or 2k/24p) streams.

Sorry, you need two laptops like you already have or a workstation like this:

http://dr-3dcameraco.com/product_info.php?...;products_id=56

I've seen that SI offer a small field recorder for stereo for their mini cameras, but I don't know how much it cost and if is good enough....

CR.

• Premium Member

I am looking into shooting 3D for a shoot I'm working on next month on 35mm film. Any suggestions or recommendations? Anyone built a 3D rig using newer ARRI cameras... would the 235 be the best bet because of the size? Are they too big to get the interoccular right?