C Mount to PL adapter

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to utilise some of the switar lenses on my ACL, I was wondering is it possible to get an adapter that goes from C - PL mount? Having seen the C-mount to bolex bayonet adapter I figured could this be possible?

Thanks,

Steve

• Premium Member
I was hoping to utilise some of the switar lenses on my ACL, I was wondering is it possible to get an adapter that goes from C - PL mount? Having seen the C-mount to bolex bayonet adapter I figured could this be possible?

You want to mount C mount Switars to your PL mount ACL? Nope, that won't work I guess. The FFD for C mount is 17,52mm and for PL it's 54mm. The mount would have to have a really deep recess and you'd probably hit the mirror too!

Cheers, Dave

PS: That's one of the things cool about the NPR. You get a C mount and a PL mount if you want to.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Steve

Your ACL is already C-mount unless it's been hard-front converted to PL.

Jean-Louis

Yeah, something is amiss here.

ACLs come stock with a C-mount (smaller port) and TS (larger) mount. The latter is used exclusively with Arri S/B, Cameflex, PL, Nikon, etc. adapters. The former can be used with other adapters as well as C mount lenses, obviously _though not all C mount lenses will clear the oscillating mirror. The TS mount is the preferred choice when using adapters, as it is the most stable of the 2.

Conversely _I didn't know it was possible_ Les Bosher on his site claims:

'C' Mount Adapters for many different Lens Mounts Including Arri PL

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/ (on the adapters page)

• Premium Member

In discussing adapters, it's important to keep clear which way around they go. An adapter to put PL lenses on a C camera is possible, though it would be mechanically kinda dicey with big heavy lenses. You'd need good rods, which often are an add-on for C cameras.

An adapter to put C lenses on a PL camera would be nearly useless, as Dave pointed out. The C mount face would have to go 34.474 mm deeper into the camera than the PL flange. The back 36mm or so of the C lens would have to fit in a hole that's smaller than about 50 mm in diameter. On a great many C lenses, you wouldn't be able to reach the stop and focus rings, except maybe with toothpicks. Many others would be too fat for the hole. It would also be dangerous for mirror shutter cameras, so that pretty much leaves the Red in 2K mode as the only camera to use it. It's not physically impossible, but it comes close.

Here are the numbers: Flange focal distance is 52 mm for PL and 17.526 mm for C. Diameter is 54 mm for PL, 25.4 mm for C.

-- J.S.

Is possible to make an adapter to use Pl mount lenses with your C mount camera (NPR has Cameflex mount + c mount)

It can be done by Les Bosher (www.lesbosher.co.uk)

The only issue is that C mount is very delicate and very esasy to dame it with heavy lenses or zooms, so will be a good idea work with rods and support or better, change your cameflex mount by PL mount ( your cam will be PL mount + C mount)

Is possible to make an adapter to use Pl mount lenses with your C mount camera (NPR has Cameflex mount + c mount)

It can be done by Les Bosher (www.lesbosher.co.uk)

The only issue is that C mount is very delicate and very esasy to dame it with heavy lenses or zooms, so will be a good idea work with rods and support or better, change your cameflex mount by PL mount ( your cam will be PL mount + C mount)

sorry I made a mistake before, ACL has C mount + thread for its own adapter. The PL adapter can be done without problem.

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...