KODAK B&W Reversal Bleach

I've been searching for weeks for all of the parts and pieces to hand process some Tri-X 7266 in my Lomo tank. Right now I think I have everything except for the bleach. My list of chemicals is below:

Kodak D-76 Developer CAT146 4817

Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent CAT146 4254

Kodak Fixer CAT197 1746

Kodak Photo-Flo CAT146 4510

I'm still missing the Kodak B&W Reversal Bleach that is called out in the technical specs for 7266. Does anyone know where I could purchase some and is my list of chemicals correct or am I missing something else?

I'm not even going to get into development times at this point...

Thanks for your help!

• Premium Member
I've been searching for weeks for all of the parts and pieces to hand process some Tri-X 7266 in my Lomo tank.Kodak D-76 Developer CAT146 4817

Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent CAT146 4254

Kodak Fixer CAT197 1746

Kodak Photo-Flo CAT146 4510

I'm still missing the Kodak B&W Reversal Bleach that is called out in the technical specs for 7266.

Do you also need a clearing bath?

Do the specifications you are reading call for D76 as both the first and second developer.?

Can you mix the bleach from scratch? it is a far less common chemical than d-76 and such.

The Kodak web site has the formulas for most of the chemicals.

Do you also need a clearing bath?

Do the specifications you are reading call for D76 as both the first and second developer.?

Can you mix the bleach from scratch? it is a far less common chemical than d-76 and such.

The Kodak web site has the formulas for most of the chemicals.

The Kodak publictaion for labs processing B/W reversal can be found here.

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...ssing/H-661.pdf

Try as I may I could not find anywhere on their website that gives the current formulae for B/W Reversal Processing. The current process uses permanganate bleach. The original formula:

Kodak R21a Bleach Bath

Water 750ml

Potassium Dichromate 50g

Sulphuric acid (conc) 50ml

Water to 1 litre

Use 1:9

ADD THE SULPHURIC ACID TO THE 750ml SLOWLY, DROP BY DROP - SULPHURIC ACID IS VERY DANGEROUS AND WATER MUST NEVER BE ADDED TO THE CONCENTRATED ACID.

Kodak supply a complete processing kit for B/W Reversal processing but the components are only available in large quantities, the bleach, for example comes sufficient to make 15 gallons CAT No. 186 6227.

You do need a clearing bath and you could try a positive developer like D163 as the second developer; it needs to be a vigorous developer.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tom,

Last year i processed 20 rolls of 16mm B&W reversal stock (7266 Tri-X) in buckets, i can give you the formulas needed to make bleach and other stuff. hope this helps.

( I used D-19 instead of D-76)

B&W Reversal Processing (Tri-X)

*All solutions at 20C

1. Rinse in Water (1 min)

2. 1st Developer: D-19 + Potassium Thiocyanate (5 mins)

3. Wash (3min)

4. Bleach (2mins)

5. Wash (3min)

6. Clearing Bath (1 min) (i didn't use it)

-Turn light on for re-exposure- (2mins)

7. 2nd Developer: D-19 (4mins)

8. Wash (3 min)

9. Fix (6 mins)

10. Wash (5 mins)

You can also wash it for less than 3mins... depends on you. but this is what i did anyway.

1st Developer

Recipe for 2L of working solution

Start with 1.5 L of Water (38C- 52C)

1. D-19 - 319.5g

2. Potassium Thiocyanate - 4g

3. Water to make 2L

Bleach

*Always pour acid (very slowly) to water and NEVER water to acid! Stir constantly while pouring.

Start with 2L of Water

1. Potassium Dichromate (anhydrous) - 19g

2. Sulfuric Acid (concentrated - 98%) - 24ml

Fixer

Start with 1.5L of water at 27C

1. Sodium Thiosulfate (anhydrous) - 320g

2. Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) - 60 to 120g

3. Water to make 2L

OR you can buy an ILFORD rapid fixer (500ml) and dilute according to the specs. which i used :D

So hope this helps! cheers. here is a sample of one of the film strips from my film. u can see the results.

post-39098-1243466357.jpg

Ara,

Thanks for the information! I've been in contact with Kodak about the R-10 bleach and they have a solution for me that is premixed part A & B Kodak chemicals. They come ready to make 20 Gallons at a time but they have another mixing formula that will allow me to mix one liter at a time which is more my speed. When I receive the information, I'll post it here. As a matter of fact, the guys at Kodak asked if others would be interested in knowing the solution and asked me for suggestions on how to get the information out to the masses. Nice guys!!

Tom

Ara,

Thanks for the information! I've been in contact with Kodak about the R-10 bleach and they have a solution for me that is premixed part A & B Kodak chemicals. They come ready to make 20 Gallons at a time but they have another mixing formula that will allow me to mix one liter at a time which is more my speed. When I receive the information, I'll post it here. As a matter of fact, the guys at Kodak asked if others would be interested in knowing the solution and asked me for suggestions on how to get the information out to the masses. Nice guys!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

please do communicate to us the information you get from Kodak pertaining to their R10 bleach.

cheers,

richard

• 2 weeks later...

The current B&W bleach is a Permanganate Bleach and consists of two kits:

KODAK B&W Reversal Bleach and Replenisher / Parts A and B / Case of 2 bottles Part A and 2 bottles Part B (Powder) – CAT #8080913

KODAK B&W Reversal Bleach and Replenisher / Part C / Case of 4 bottles (Liquid) - CAT #1891886

Note that it takes two bottles of Part C and one bottle each of A and B for each 20 gallon mix.

1 Liter mix instructions from Kodak.

Solution:

Reversal Bleach

Start with this amount of water (70-80F):

750 ml

Add this amount of each concentrate:

6.0g of cat. No. 808 0913 Part A

then 3.0g of cat. No. 808 0913 Part B

then 26.6ml of cat. No.189 1886 Part C

Dilute to 1L by adding additional water:

to 1L

• 1 year later...

Hi Ara Mah,

Thanks for posting this info!

Do you have any links to examples of your 16mm films that you processed, in action? On YouTube or something?

It'd be great to see how they turned out!

How many reals did you process at once in your bucket? Like, 3 or 4, or like 10 at a time! :)

I'd like to shoot some 16mm on my Bolex H16 Reflex, and just wondering what sort of options are open to me there.

I guess you'd have to do it totally in the dark, if you're doing it in a bucket. But I guess that wouldn't necessarily be too hard! :)

- Murray

Hi there Tom, that is helpful information!

And where do you order the various components from to make up this R-10 bleach?

Directly from Kodak?

Thanks!

- Murray

Hi Murray,

they are Kodak Cat numbers, so yes, directly from Kodak. But note that those cat numbers are for kit components that make 20 gallons of bleach - that is a lot for lomo processing. Plus, I don't believe Kodak Australia currently import these components and their doing so would be very expensive. Sadly you can't deal with Kodak in the USA if you are outside the USA or Canada. The R-9 bleach is much easier anyway.

rt

• 5 weeks later...

Kodak R21a Bleach Bath

Water 750ml

Potassium Dichromate 50g

Water to 1 litre

Where can I get these chemicals

Potassium Dichromate 50g

Search in several places, but I have not found

• 6 years later...