Using an Autopole.

Tom Savige

Hi There.

I am shooting in a hallway and would like to rig a redhead to an Autopole. I have seen it done before but I am still a little unsure as to how secure it is and what weight it can support. any information would be useful.

Clamp like a maffer or Cardellini. Equipment like "wall spreaders" and their kin is profusely explained and their uses described in Uva's Grip book. You really should get yourself a copy. It covers many of the things, that film schools don't teach.

Clamp like a maffer or Cardellini. Equipment like "wall spreaders" and their kin is profusely explained and their uses described in Uva's Grip book. You really should get yourself a copy. It covers many of the things, that film schools don't teach.

Thanks for your advice JD, I'll check it out. :)

Hi There.

I am shooting in a hallway and would like to rig a redhead to an Autopole. I have seen it done before but I am still a little unsure as to how secure it is and what weight it can support. any information would be useful.

Hi Tom,

With small to medium sized autopoles or polecats I'm comfortable with anything up to about 15-20 pounds. With the larger sized ones I start to become a bit wary of anything above this. At that point I trust wall spreaders more. It's the bowing of the longer poles that makes me uncomfortable. What I do if I have two large ones is put them next to each other and rig from them both so there is less weight pulling on each individual one. I also think Uva's Grip Book is great. It's about $40 but well worth it. Happy Shooting!

-Alexa Harris

Wouldn't it be cool if there were more visual responses to questions like this? For example a link to a short video or a series of instructional photos.

Best wishes Tom. Don't forget to safety your light and barn doors.

There are so many ways to do this. You can get away with using a polecat and 1 redhead, but don't put too much more on it. Wall spreaders are great, so are speedrail starters combined with speedrail to make a pretty strong overhead support; as long as you screw into the studs.