Sign in to follow this  
Hal Smith

Avid Media Composer and Cineform's NeoScene

I'm looking at buying Cineform's NeoScene to use to reverse telecine (pullup) Canon HV20/30 footage shot in the camera's 24p mode. I want to convert from the 24p encoded in the camera's 60i data stream and then save it as true 24p .AVI files. Next I want to import it into my Media Composer as a true 24p project. Anyone doing this successfully? I've read that NeoScene is bulletproof at recognizing the 24p/60i HDV cadence and as a result its reverse telecine works correctly.

I do this fairly regularly, but I don't use NeoScene. I use TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0. It's an excellent program for transcoding, changing frame rates, removing a pulldown, capturing from DVD's and more. Probably the best $100 I've spent on editing.

But it's main advantage over Cineform is that it will transcode HV-20 footage into a Quciktime file of any DNxHD format. This file can then be fast imported into Avid.

You do need a program to capture the original HV-20 footage with. I use Sony Vegas b/c I have it on my computer. But there are many free capture programs out there.

So the steps are: capture w/ another NLE or capture program, use TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 to transcode the HDV file into a 23.976 DNxHD .mov file, fast import file into Media Composer.

I do this fairly regularly, but I don't use NeoScene. I use TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0. It's an excellent program for transcoding, changing frame rates, removing a pulldown, capturing from DVD's and more. Probably the best $100 I've spent on editing.

But it's main advantage over Cineform is that it will transcode HV-20 footage into a Quciktime file of any DNxHD format. This file can then be fast imported into Avid.

You do need a program to capture the original HV-20 footage with. I use Sony Vegas b/c I have it on my computer. But there are many free capture programs out there.

So the steps are: capture w/ another NLE or capture program, use TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 to transcode the HDV file into a 23.976 DNxHD .mov file, fast import file into Media Composer.

Thank you Peter, I'm looking into it.