Elevator Jolt

• Premium Member

I'm shooting a short film that takes place in an elevator. There is a scene where the elevator breaks down mid-ride, jerking suddenly to a halt. Two characters in frame during the shot. We will be shooting in an elevator set on a sound stage.

How can I accomplish this effect without it looking like just shaking the camera? It's possible we could shake the walls. But I want some representation of the whiplash stop with a camera move.

I'm shooting a short film that takes place in an elevator. There is a scene where the elevator breaks down mid-ride, jerking suddenly to a halt. Two characters in frame during the shot. We will be shooting in an elevator set on a sound stage.

How can I accomplish this effect without it looking like just shaking the camera? It's possible we could shake the walls. But I want some representation of the whiplash stop with a camera move.

Steadicam is a good look for emulating the feel of an elevator--a slight float to the frame will deliver a subtle cue that the elevator is in motion, and the operator can make a very quick boom correction at the point that the elevator stops. A skilled operator will be able to duplicate the effect that this would have if it was actually a real elevator, which is that the rig suddenly wants to fly up (or down, depending on the direction of travel)as a result of inertia and the operator would attempt to buffer that movement; this look can be replicated with some practice and is quite effective.

It would be possible to simulate this also with a jib arm, but tougher to get the fast booming response.

• Premium Member

I've done this sort of effect with the camera on the end of a stinger jib arm, with two grips shaking the hell out of it. It works very well when timed to the actors' movements. You can also augment the movement with a lighting change, maybe a flicker effect, to help sell it. Also maybe a puff of compressed air from below so the actors' hair blows upward. There's all kinds of things you can do.

• Premium Member

Hmmm... I like the idea of the puff of air. As long as it's only momentary. The lights will definitely flicker.

Although steadicam sounds effective, it might be overkill for the one shot. I might try to do it using the boom arm on the Fisher 11 or a jib arm. We can also shake the set walls. What I should do is raise the whole set to be on a gimbal or something.

Thanks, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!!

you can rock the frame in postproduction that is 1st option

2nd you can shake the camera, my way is to have camera F set to 1.9 or the lower value you have and compensate with ND for exposure. when you shake the camera do it fast and in short tracks, make a test

you can see that effect in a video clip i direct time ago

link: http://vimeo.com/3183285

bests!

GT