Dropping Kino Flo's?

Will a Kino Flo be alright if it is dropped onto hard concrete ground from about 1.5 metres high?

It was a simple accident that could've happened to anyone, but will the light still

be ok, and how can you check to see if it it running to it's lighty best?

Will a Kino Flo be alright if it is dropped onto hard concrete ground from about 1.5 metres high?

It was a simple accident that could've happened to anyone, but will the light still

Olivia,

Kino Flo's arent generally designed to be dropped however it may be alright. When you return the light to your rental house tell the staff there and they should be able to fix it. :)

Does it work? Is anything visibly broken?

depends, did you drop the fixture, the ballast, both?

you could get lucky - I saw a 6k drop off a condor (when the junior pin on the light broke off) and the lamp, lens and globe were fine... (okay, the basket was at the ground for de-rigging, but still)

I've seen kinos knocked around a lot and work fine - if it's still lighting up and looks normal it's prob still good

• Premium Member

Seems like a strange question.

If there is no visible damage (broken tubes, wires hanging out etc) why not just plug it in and see what happens?

If all the tubes light up and at the same brightness, there's not likely to be anything wrong with it.

If you're asking if dropping it could somehow reduce the light output, the answer is no, a Kino-Flo is just a bank of pretty ordinary fluorescent tubes, but with more carefully colour-balanced phosphor.

• Premium Member

Hahaha! I love this thread!

If you were to pick a light to drop, the kino is a good choice because the flexible barn doors make it pretty resilient.

As others have said, why don't you just turn it on and see?

My guess, if this is not trolling, would be that while loading out you dropped the piece of gear and didn't tell anyone or verify that it still worked. Now you're wishing you had!

Don't worry, if it comes to it, bulbs aren't that expensive.

Now, if you dropped the ballast.....

according to the urban dictionary:

trolling

Hanging one's penis out of the back of a moving vehicle, in the pursuit of poonany, much like fishing.

"Hey Fritz, what the hell are you doing back there"? "Leave me the f*** alone. I'm trolling!"

according to the urban dictionary:

trolling

Hanging one's penis out of the back of a moving vehicle, in the pursuit of poonany, much like fishing.

"Hey Fritz, what the hell are you doing back there"? "Leave me the f*** alone. I'm trolling!"

You learn something new every day. Thanks Matt.