"intermittent camera slip" on Eclair NPR

grant mcphee

Hello,

I've not seen the footage but have had a rushes report that mentions "intermittent camera slip".

I'm not sure exactly what this means and will not be able to speak to the telecine operator until next week (when I get to see the rushes).

Luckily the Eclair was our b camera, it was essentially there to be tested as it had not been used by us before. We thought we would shoot a couple of hundred feet in different conditions and if anything came out, fine and if not, then nothing lost.

The steady-test seems to be fine. The section in question seems to be when I jumped around a lot.

I'm assuming camera-slip is when the perf jumps out of the registration pin or similar? I've seen, what I assume is similar on a badly loaded acl, though this was all the way through the roll, not intermittently.

What could be the problem here? I'm pretty confident it was loaded fine and had the correct loopsize (though can't be 100% sure).

There seems to be a little play where the mag attaches to the camera - i.e. it does not seem to lock as well as an sr mag. Could this be the problem - when I jump about the pressure plate is causing the slip as it is not exactly flush? It does not seem too bad and I'd be surprised. Or is it something worse?

Thanks

• Premium Member
There seems to be a little play where the mag attaches to the camera - i.e. it does not seem to lock as well as an sr mag. Could this be the problem - when I jump about the pressure plate is causing the slip as it is not exactly flush? It does not seem too bad and I'd be surprised. Or is it something worse?

You hit the nail on the head. The jumping and this loose connection between camera body and magazine is enough to screw you up (and cause a loop loss). Have a qualified tech open the camera body and tighten down the interior mag lock (it's attached to the silver button that you press in to release the mag). Then have him tighten and bring down the exterior magazine lock on the camera handle. That should do it.

There should be a noise maker in there to indicate when there's a loss of loop. Sometimes you can't hear the clickety-clack of it in loud filming conditions, but most times your ear is right against the mag, and you should be able to detect it.

Cheers,

Bernie