Kodak Double-X 7222 Black & White

Howdy all,

I'm shooting a short set in Italy in the early 70s. Although it's not strictly a black & white period. We want to shoot B & W, I often use Kodak Tri-X for my art stills and love it.

You can only buy Kodak Double-X in boxes of 5 rolls and I want to get a hold of a pretty fresh short end roll to shoot a couple of tests on. Process normal as well as a push 1 stop etc

Does anyone know where I can purchase a short end of around 250'...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

P.S. I need Super 16mm stock!

• Premium Member

Check with the labs. In the negative case, send an E-Mail to Filmotec, Wolfen, Germany. They have the beautiful Orwo N 74, an ISO 400 stock, and will be glad to sell you the desired footage, perhaps you'll be their first customer from down under.

www.filmotec.de

PS. There is no such thing as Super-16 film stock, one usually refers to “perforated (along) one edge”.

Howdy all,

I'm shooting a short set in Italy in the early 70s. Although it's not strictly a black & white period. We want to shoot B & W, I often use Kodak Tri-X for my art stills and love it.

You can only buy Kodak Double-X in boxes of 5 rolls and I want to get a hold of a pretty fresh short end roll to shoot a couple of tests on. Process normal as well as a push 1 stop etc

Adam,

Contact Ralph at http://www.reelgoodfilm.com/ he may have some short ends/fresh cans available. Media distributors might as well, but your chances of finding black and white 16mm short ends may be very difficult since they aren't used in productions as much as ECN films. Also I would advise against pushing that stock 1 stop, because it is VERY grainy to begin with, and you're shooting it on S16 so grain will already be an issue. (unless that is the look you want - but yeah, always a good idea to test!)

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Australia. In that case, ignore the short-ends dealers to which I referred you!

Edited by Elliot Rudmann

Howdy all,

Adam,

Too bad you weren't interested in 5222 (35mm equivalent)...I've got some - and I'm in Australia. Mine were from Raw Stock Inc on Broadway, Manhattan, NYC...Rich, the owner is a great guy to deal with. Call him, he might have it and ship it fast. Here's their web-page: http://www.raw-stock.com/

Good luck, mate!

Ole

Ole,

Great to hear from someone down south. How much 5222 do you have? I would be interested in purchasing some? Thanks let me know :-)

P.S. I'm in Sydney...

Sincerely,

Adam Howden

Director of Photography

M +61 (0)415 947 360

E - info@adamhowden.com

W - http://adamhowden.com/

Check with the labs.
Unlikely that a lab would be holding any short ends - they don't use negative, they only process it.

however, it's still a good tip, as they might be able to point you at another production that is using (or has recently used) the stock you need. Though in the case of 16mm Double-X, I suspect your chances aren't all that good.

BTW, Deluxe Sydney or FilmPlus in Melbourne would be the only labs that could process b/w in Australia.

Good luck.