manual typewriter for...

There's a mechanical setting for the margins and you can also set up the tabs for the dialogue etc.

The one advantage a typewriters is that you have to keep moving the story forward, you can't spend time rewriting each sentence over and over again before progressing like you would on a computer. Of course, you have to retype everything during the next rewrite .

Usually it's just putting in tabs for your different left side margins. Though I don't really see why you would want to use a typewriter. As Brian said, it helps moving the story forward, but what if you get something done and then when you reread it you misspelled one word? Sure you can white-out it, but that looks messy, you have to retype the entire page. Or what if in a rewrite your last paragraph on a page goes onto the next page, then that page goes to the next. You might have to retype a whole lot just because of one mistake.

There's a reason why scriptwriters use computers nowadays.

Im a firm believer in Celtx scriptwriting software. It's free, or at least it used to be, the new version you may have to pay for or that can just be a monthly subscription fee for posting scripts online or storing them to an external server so multiple writers can edit and re-save instead of having to email back and forth.

Not to mention it's easy and has a nice bit of features as well. You should definitely look into it.

I'm also a fan of typewriters though. I just love that noise of their keys, it makes you feel like you've accomplished something.

I know I am retro, but I was thinking of typing my stuff on a manual typewriter. Is there a way to set the margins for a manual typewriter to type my own movie script?

My wife and I go to a regular arts and lectures series here in portland (visiting authors pontificating about the creative process), and you'd be surprised how many nationally known writers still plunk away on typewriters.

There's a shop close by that still services typewriters (Ace Typewriter) and can bring an old Remington back to showroom quality for less than the cost of a couple reams of paper, I highly recommend them!

• Premium Member

The better office electrics like my IBM Wheelwriter III have correction ribbons built-in that will erase entire words if not sentences. If you catch a mistake when you make it built-in correction makes it easy to fix.

Of course my Wheelwriter's been on the top shelf of my office closet for at least five years. I stopped using it when just about every application and/or form I ever use got converted to either live on-line or Acrobat form.