Patching chimera?

So i had a 1k arri lite w/chimmera rigged from some rafters and a hot scrim fell onto the inner diffusion layer of my 24x32 chimera when one of my grips/electrics was adjusting it. So I have 2 holes melted in the middle of one of my chimera diffusion layers. The holes are small enough to be patched by some diffusion from a swatchbook, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching some silk to the diffusion layer without melting glue or possibly burning thread (which might cast shadows as well). Any ideas? Is there a better way of going about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

So i had a 1k arri lite w/chimmera rigged from some rafters and a hot scrim fell onto the inner diffusion layer of my 24x32 chimera when one of my grips/electrics was adjusting it. So I have 2 holes melted in the middle of one of my chimera diffusion layers. The holes are small enough to be patched by some diffusion from a swatchbook, but I'm not sure how to go about attaching some silk to the diffusion layer without melting glue or possibly burning thread (which might cast shadows as well). Any ideas? Is there a better way of going about this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone?

• Premium Member
Is the chimera something that looks like a design like tree branches or venitian blinds? Is there anyway that the patchwork could be worked into the design?

That's not a chimera at all. A chimera is like a tent that goes onto a lamp. It has diffusion and spill control all in one.

Salil, why don't you just get some white nylon thread and stitch the patches in? It really doesn't have to be perfect looking, as long as the diffusion patch covers the hole. The nature of a soft light will make sure that the patch has no effect on the light it puts out.

Salil:

Send it back to Chimera in Boulder, Colorado. I sent my medium Quartz that had two holes burned through it and they repaired it like new for about $120.00.

Dan

• 2 months later...
Salil:

Send it back to Chimera in Boulder, Colorado. I sent my medium Quartz that had two holes burned through it and they repaired it like new for about $120.00.

Dan

For the inner baffle it would only cost me like $45 to replace.