Good Cinamatography Training?

Hey guys,

I would like to get some advice here on how to break into DPing. I went to school for liberal arts and when I got out I decided I wanted to do film, but unfortunately missed out on the film school experience. I've always been interested in cameras and wanted to do cinematography. I was first able to get work as a grip, and very quickly managed to work my way up to gaffer but I've been kind of stuck there and unable to advance. I know a hell of a lot about lighting now but still have very little camera experience and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to start getting more experience as a shooter.

Going back to school full time isn't really a financially viable option, so the main thing I was looking into was cinematography workshops and I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. The two I was looking at was the 8 week filmmaking workshop at the the New York Film Academy in L.A., and the 2 week cinematography workshop by Light Extreme in Italy. Does anyone know anything about these programs and whether it would be money well spent? Is one better than the other? Are there any other programs that might be better? Or any other options that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for reading, I value the input.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to a workshops in rockport, Maine for directing, also a friend of mine went there for cinematographic and he loved the place, now I ask my self if he comes all the way from Spain, it must be good, at least that's what I think. so check it, call, ask question and see if it's for you or not.

Good luck!

http://www.theworkshops.com/filmworkshops/index.asp