Where can I find what I need for my AC Kit

Hi,

Right now I'm living in Toronto and I'm trying to get my my first basic camera kit together. The problem is I can't find what I'm looking for.

An example of a few things I need but can't find are cloth tape, a slate, and a pouch for when I'm on set. I've found a few websites for stores in California but if I don't have to pay for all that shipping I'd rather not.

Does anyone know any Film supply stores in Toronto?

Thanks,

Carol

• Premium Member
Hi,

Right now I'm living in Toronto and I'm trying to get my my first basic camera kit together. The problem is I can't find what I'm looking for.

An example of a few things I need but can't find are cloth tape, a slate, and a pouch for when I'm on set. I've found a few websites for stores in California but if I don't have to pay for all that shipping I'd rather not.

Does anyone know any Film supply stores in Toronto?

Thanks,

Carol

Shipping from filmtools.com (they have everything you'll need) is very reasonable and you won't have to pay sales tax. It will probably even out.

Shipping from filmtools.com (they have everything you'll need) is very reasonable and you won't have to pay sales tax. It will probably even out.

....yes, if you live in the States. Shipping to Canada is a very different story. It goes through customs, and not only do we pay our GST and PST taxes, we get dinged dearly by UPS with their exorbitant brokerage fees, since filmtools ships UPS Ground to Canada. In most cases, we're out about double what the order total is. That said, there are times when I will really need something from filmtools, but I'll only place that order as a last resort if I can't find that specific item in Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

An assistant I just worked with had the best set bag I've ever seen. He got it at Lowes for like $15 I think. It was similar to this one but it had a metal handle that swiveled and was large enough for hard mattes. It might be worth having a look before you spend more on a "film" set bag.

• Premium Member
An assistant I just worked with had the best set bag I've ever seen. He got it at Lowes for like $15 I think. It was similar to this one

It's a carpenters carry-all. Lowe's has about five different sizes of the ones with the swivelling handle. I use one as a catchall behind my driver's seat in my van with my Sirius, gloves, bottle of water, etc. in it. Great design with lots of pockets, snaps, etc.