FILTER NAME ???

hello,

Im shooting a pop promo on RED one next week and am looking for a specific flare effect. It can be seen in the interiors of CSI Miami. The flare is spread out horizontally. How do I achieve this. Is it by a specific filter put on camera lens or by post production filters.

Thank you for your help.

Bartlomiej Sienkiewicz

www.bsienkiewicz.com

Most of the flares in CSI Miami are achieved by shooting thru round and square plexiglass rods of various diameters suspended in front of a long lens. If the Flare did not have that 'anamorphic blue flare', then it was probably a Streak Filter if not done using the plexi.

• Premium Member
Most of the flares in CSI Miami are achieved by shooting thru round and square plexiglass rods of various diameters suspended in front of a long lens. If the Flare did not have that 'anamorphic blue flare', then it was probably a Streak Filter if not done using the plexi.

You can do a similar thing by stringing different thicknesses of fishing monofilament across the front of the lens.

You can do a similar thing by stringing different thicknesses of fishing monofilament across the front of the lens.

AWESOME.

Does the light travel the entire distance of the monofilament, or does it taper off? Have you tried any effects of moving it back and forth past the light?

• Premium Member
Does the light travel the entire distance of the monofilament, or does it taper off?

Hey there, Baby Legs!

I think it would depend on the light source and the angle it comes from. A large soft source at the right angle would reflect off the whole filament while a hard source at an acute angle may not. I guess if you wanted the reflection to taper off at a specific point you could darken part of the filament with colored markers or sharpies.

Does the light travel the entire distance of the monofilament, or does it taper off? Have you tried any effects of moving it back and forth past the light?

In my experience the monofilament is placed behind the lens. There are two reasons for this...

1. If you put it on the front of the lens the filament is likely to be illuminated even when there isn't a light source shining down the barrel.

2. The filament is right up against the image plane and therefore produces a hard colored shadow (i.e. fake anamorphic flare)

If you do place the monofilament behind the lens keep in mind it has to be positioned perpendicular to the lens axis and takes an extremely long time to position correctly.

Luck.

Could have been the Vantage Blue Vision flare filter, meant to simulate an anamorphic lens flare:

http://www.vantagefilm.com/file/pdf/equipment_24.pdf

Does anyone know which Rental House In LA carries this filter or is it only available through VantageFilm?

Edited by John Russell Schmidt