Thoughts / advice on the GY-HM100U?

Matt Rosen

I'm doing a shoot in August, and it looks as though we'll either be shooting on the Panasonic DVX 100 or the JVC HM100. I've never used the HM100 before, and I wanted to see if I could get some information from people who have used it.

It seems like the camera's big selling points are its size and its format, which allows for easy access to places most comparable cameras would be restricted from. This won't be an issue on this particular shoot.

It has a smaller sensor than the DVX, despite shooting in 1080p. How do the pictures compare?

What kinds of menu controls do you get from the HM100?

How is its latitude, and how does a picture look in direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm doing a shoot in August, and it looks as though we'll either be shooting on the Panasonic DVX 100 or the JVC HM100. I've never used the HM100 before, and I wanted to see if I could get some information from people who have used it.

It seems like the camera's big selling points are its size and its format, which allows for easy access to places most comparable cameras would be restricted from. This won't be an issue on this particular shoot.

It has a smaller sensor than the DVX, despite shooting in 1080p. How do the pictures compare?

What kinds of menu controls do you get from the HM100?

How is its latitude, and how does a picture look in direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Go to JVC.com and their you can find your info.

• Premium Member

You be sure your NLE can properly use the JVC's footage.

I've read lots of accounts of audio drift and timecode problems with some JVC pro video cameras. This seems to be model, framerate and NLE specific, so I don't know if it will apply to the GY-HM100U, but you should check that it won't be an issue.

HTH.