Film Lab North to close on Friday

Another UK film lab, FilmlabNorth is closing for good on Friday. It's owners ITV are closing it rather than selling it. A real shame as they offered great student discounts and were one of the few labs to offer optical blow-ups from 8mm and 16/s16 to 35.

Hi,

Yeah it is a great shame that a good lab such as this is shutting down. Being a student at the Northern Film School it was always great to go down there and talk about your projects with the staff, added to that I do concur with the deals they provided to people especially the students that shot on 16mm. I for one would have not had the opportunity to have shot on film or had the experiences otherwise as an aspiring DP and for that I am truly grateful.

Farewell Film Lab North, you shall be sorely missed.

Steve

Hi,

Yeah it is a great shame that a good lab such as this is shutting down. Being a student at the Northern Film School it was always great to go down there and talk about your projects with the staff, added to that I do concur with the deals they provided to people especially the students that shot on 16mm. I for one would have not had the opportunity to have shot on film or had the experiences otherwise as an aspiring DP and for that I am truly grateful.

Farewell Film Lab North, you shall be sorely missed.

Steve

Bummer. That's the sad thing, the loss of all the accumulated knowledge and good cheer that has 'developed' over the years.

Bummer. That's the sad thing, the loss of all the accumulated knowledge and good cheer that has 'developed' over the years.

I understand from Howard, the manager, that half the staff go on Friday, the remaining staff stay on until the 24th July to complete the processing of the 'Frost' TV programme.

I have been associated with them since the early 80's when they were part of the Humphries Group, they were taken over by Rank in 1985 and I amd my colleagues at Hendersons bought them when Rank were going to close them and renamed them Film Lab North, we sold them to Yorkshire TV when Hendersons went into administration in the late 90's.

Film Lab North were one of the first labs in the world to offer a super 16 colour neg process and as such processed the colour neg from one of the Apollo Space missions for NASA. They still have the cans from space as well as a signed portrait of the astronauts.

A great lab with very clean and tidy premises, very sad to see them go.

Brian