Best method for creating heatwave blur

Hello all. I am looking for the best method to create a decently wide heat bluring effect like you'd see over hot pavement or something similar. What suggestions would you make to best achieve this? I remember reading about a standard tool for this but I can't recall what it was.

Thanks in advance!

David

• Premium Member
Hello all. I am looking for the best method to create a decently wide heat bluring effect like you'd see over hot pavement or something similar. What suggestions would you make to best achieve this? I remember reading about a standard tool for this but I can't recall what it was.

Thanks in advance!

David

It's a fire bar! But you'll need certified sfx people to operate.

And they're not cheap!

Kieran.

I have had a lot of success using just a lit Sterno Can just under frame out in front of a long lens. The longer the lens the more 'heat wave' you will get.... you can always line more Sternos up to cover a wider area if needed.

In the long gone past I had some great success with a aluminum U-profile of 20mm * 20mm, filled with fine sand, slightly flooded with methylated spirit or more slightly with benzine. You will get no or blue-ish coloured flames.

For Orange flames use salt instead of fine sand, for green flames add some sanded copper and copper wire to the sand.

Please take care, and try it first at your garden or open area. make sure the fire is of before refilling!!!!

Good Luck, take good care,

Onno