Finding Talent

I've got a small production company and am looking to expand our talent roster a bit .... It's always good to have several people to call upon for projects! :) We are getting busier these days and I'm interested in finding camera ops, dp's and editors of all price ranges. The problem is finding reels! Editors reels aren't difficult to find but I am having some difficulty finding ones for camera ops ... I guess most dp's/cinematographers are camera ops these days as well, but I'd be interested in those that just do camera .... On la411, for example, there are very few reels and most of the camera ops there seem to be steadicam related - not just straight shooters ..

So my question is (finally!) --- Are there any sites that you can recommend where I can view reels for the above mentioned? I'd love to find where camera ops, dps/cinematographers, editors have reels to view! And where do you find your talent? Networking, craigslist, agencies?

Thank you in advance! :)

Tess

To clarify a little bit ... :) I guess the most direct question is where is a good place to find talent? I realize craigslist is an option here too, but I'm looking for something more specific than that - -with reels and contact info ... So ... other websites, agencies .. etc ? Any recommendations? Thank you!

I'm looking for something more specific than that - -with reels and contact info ... So ... other websites, agencies .. etc ? Any recommendations? Thank you!

I use Vimeo as a window to show my reel and all my work because of its capacity to upload hd content. A lot of Directors, DP's, composers, etc. use it to. You can search in the channels, there are a few focus only on reels.

Hi Tess,

Apart from what you've already been told.

You can find loads of agents details on the cinematography society sites for the respective countries. Such as BSC, ASC, AFC etc etc....

Here is a link to agents on the BSC site

Also if you're looking for someone specific, just google someone's name.

90% of the time it throws up their website...unless they haven't used their name as their address.

• Premium Member
Also if you're looking for someone specific, just google someone's name.

90% of the time it throws up their website...unless they haven't used their name as their address.

You'd think that would be the case, but I haven't found it to be true in many cases. For example, my website doesn't come up on google when you search my name. It should since my website is www.bradgrimmett.com, but it doesn't. Even if I search "www.bradgrimmett.com" it doesn't come up with a link to my site.

I've found it very hard to find peoples websites simply by searching for them unless they are a bigger name DP. If you're looking specifically for conventional operators I think you'll have an even tougher time since it's not that common for non-steadicam operators to have reels.

Hey Brad,

you are partly right.

I spoke to a mate of mine, who knows far more than me about how the internet functions, and he explained that it is all to do with how many links you have on your website.

The internet 'BOTS' use that as a credit to position your site near to the number 1 link after the search.

What annoys me the most is that my site doesn't get first pick but my facebook and other links, including posts from this forum, take precedence.

Tim, I don't know how much control you have on this....but is there any chance that you could stop that?

I understand that its a good way to advertise this forum but maybe something that just states our membership on here would suffice.

Edited by Serge Teulon