Super 8 Silencer

Ernie Zahn

Hi,

For those who do live sound with Super 8, how do you eliminate that motor noise from the camera? It's quite noisy in an enclosed room. I've been using a hoody sweatshirt but it's not doing the job and I need to constantly remove it for focal/exposure changes. I know there's foam that is made to absorb the sound and that people use it, I don't know names or where to get it. Does anyone know? Does anyone have a home made solution? My cam is Beaulieu 600S, quiet but not quiet enough and filters on audio software are limited. Short of looping the entire soundtrack, what can be done?

Ernie:

There's a company that manufactures custom barneys called custom upholstery products in Van Nuys. They may have a custom barney to fit your beulieu? I don't think they're TOO expensive either.

As far as home-made solutions, I hear of a lot of folks using furniture blankets (like for moving). Maybe you could bungie one around the camera?

I've had some luck with soundtrack "reduce noice" function, but it really depends on the camera. Super 8 tends to be more of a high-whine than the grumble of 16mm. That means it will try and filter out those highs, and the results can be "under-water-ish." If you kill your high end whine, you'll probably have more luck filtering. So, a mix of barney and post-effects may be your winning combo.

Don't forget about doing a fake-take with the camera NOT running. You can time stretch and compress dialogue that doesn't match exactly, and you're more likely to get clean results. I would suggest doing the dialogue take right there after the camera take. That way the sound is more authentic than doing it in a soundbooth later.

I'm of the opinion that you can ruin a good visual movie by bad sound dubbing.

I built two blimps for two of my cameras for use this summer. I used quite a few materials, and the finished product looks like a camera from the 1920's, but the noise is down almost 98%!

I even filmed a test roll in a typical lounge, 5 feet from the actor, the the sound recording picked up nothing!

I added the link to the pictures below, as i cannot work out how to paste images into the forum, so have a look.

http://mishpics.yolasite.com/super8-blimp-designs.php

Also, the mike i used was a cardioid. A typical uni-directional mike would pick up the camera noise easily.

The picture samples are a link off my main website.

http://www.mishkin.yolasite.com/

cheers

This is also posted on www.filmshooting.com

Alright, I have uploaded the audio. it is on the website below.

http://mishpics.yolasite.com/super8-blimp-designs.php

Either click on the item to play it in the page, or right click and save it to hard drive.

(in case you are wondering from the noises in the background, i was filming surrounded by dogs and cats)

I look forward to your feedback.

cheers

Hi,

For those who do live sound with Super 8, how do you eliminate that motor noise from the camera? It's quite noisy in an enclosed room. I've been using a hoody sweatshirt but it's not doing the job and I need to constantly remove it for focal/exposure changes. I know there's foam that is made to absorb the sound and that people use it, I don't know names or where to get it. Does anyone know? Does anyone have a home made solution? My cam is Beaulieu 600S, quiet but not quiet enough and filters on audio software are limited. Short of looping the entire soundtrack, what can be done?

Go to your local thrift store and buy an old leather jacket. Cut off one of the sleeves and slip your camera in there with the lens pointing out where the hand goes. You'll be amazed how well this works. Not perfect, but great for run-and-gun situations.