feedback on an extended trailer (6 minutes) on a film I made

A 6 minute trailer is far too long. I watched 1.5 minutes and gave up. Sorry. If you're not making clear what it's about in the first 30 seconds you'll have lost your online audience.

I really didn't like seeing subtitled reviews telling me how good you are - show me how good the film is. It's not clear what it's about at all. Yes I know, if I'd watched the other 4 1/2 minutes... but only your friends and family are ever gonna do that. A slow trailer suggests a slow film.

I dunno how well that music goes down in NY, but to me it seems overly post Velvets. Like, a bit dated. You need something fresher.

Well, you did ask...

Let me just say on behalf of this "extended trailer" it's not a trailer in the traditional sense of say a quick paced 2 minute trailer knock em dead kinda thing. What it is -- I'm not sure. But it's not that. It's more like a little preview of the film. The entire film. Thanks for the feedback though. And I welcome anymore comments. Kevin

Let me just say on behalf of this "extended trailer" it's not a trailer in the traditional sense of say a quick paced 2 minute trailer knock em dead kinda thing. What it is -- I'm not sure. But it's not that. It's more like a little preview of the film. The entire film. Thanks for the feedback though. And I welcome anymore comments. Kevin

If interested please look at version at vimeo better quality.

http://www.vimeo.com/5080981 - its called flora's garment bursting

Hi Kevin

...I think alot of people get confused with trailers from unfinished work. Trailers are obviously edited from a finished film to advertise and sell to the public...until a film is made and distribution begun this can't obviously happen. You have made a remarkable effort to get your project ( probably with little money ) up and running, with great results, and hopefully this 'trailer' will help you gain more interest and hopefully more funding...even so I get the feeling you will finish it anyway! Best of luck mate...I would love to see it in the cinemas it is a very sensitive piece of work.

best

rob spence

Thanks for yer kind words Rob. Yeah we made the film for 50 grand. Ran out of funds to get the film mixed. After many years trying to do that now. I guess I shouldn't have called it a trailer. The best I could come up with was an "extended trailer". Best, Kevin

There's a hell of a lot of noise on my screen. Did you shoot this on VHS?

It looks like the gamma is lifted, perhaps the H264 issue from Apple.

I recently got a program called "handbrake" and another called "X264" for free that fixes the known H264 gamma lift issue.

The film was shot on mini-dv - I edited it on I-movie - it's not a professional trailer. Just something I put together one night to show to a producer about another project. I was using a dvd of the film that wasn't very good to being with. There's a version on IMDB that looks OK - the one on YOUTUBE not so hot. I'm in the process of finishing the film - the tracks never got mixed. When it's completed I'll put up another version. Sorry for bad quality folks.

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi2046099993/

50k $ is good value for a fully filmed ( ie in the can ) movie even on DV ( in UK terms this was more like £25k when exchange rates were more favourable to the UK )...is there no-one in New York that would mix the sound for free for work experience ? It seems like there isn't much stopping this movie from being completed...Who's the lead actress, she's a bit of a future star!!

best

rob spence

50k $ is good value for a fully filmed ( ie in the can ) movie even on DV ( in UK terms this was more like £25k when exchange rates were more favourable to the UK )...is there no-one in New York that would mix the sound for free for work experience ? It seems like there isn't much stopping this movie from being completed...Who's the lead actress, she's a bit of a future star!!

best

rob spence

Hey Rob - yeah I think I found someone to complete the film. Her name is Jenette Sampson, she did a couple of other films, Margaret Chow and something else. Some folks just shimmer up on the screen and she certainly does. Not only does she shimmer, she has real acting talent I think. She's also a stand up comedian. I hope to work with her again. I have another script that I'm shopping around at the moment where she would play the co-lead as well.