Collapsable cores

Stephen Smith

So, this is probably obvious. I recently used an sr2 for the first time, what a great camera.

My question... With the arri collapsable cores on the take up side of the mag, do i just take the film off them and send it to the lab without any sort of core or am i meant to try and slip a nylon core in the centre of the film??? I assume the lab must need the film spooled onto something so it can be fed into their machine????

thanks

• Premium Member

I removed the collapsible cores in my SR3, but when I had them in there I simply sent the film to the lab w/o a core, but noted "NO CORE" on every can. I had no problems, but you should speak to your lab regarding this issue first. I'm sure it's nothing they haven't' seen before.

Most SRs in use, use collapsable cores. Labs deal with Film (off the core) everyday. I have never put a special 'No Core' notation on Cans or Reports. They know as soon as they feel it. I have never sent 16mm to the Lab on a core of any kind.

• Premium Member

I used to do the same thing Adrian did when I had an SR1. Marked the cans "No Core".

I really liked the collapsible cores, it's something I miss when using the XTR. Oh well.

Best,

-Tim

Everybody who is using collapsible cores should spend a day or two in the darkroom trying to fit a plastic core in the center after the can has been dropped (or shipped by courrier). Sometimes we have to cut off a couple of feet because the roll is oval and the cores won't fit anymore. Even if the cores fit, you will see slight scratches on the first few feet of the roll. What is wrong with a simple plastic core?

A few weeks ago I accidently removed the core and took the film to Technicolor here in Vancouver. I was a little bit worried but the gentleman I talked to said it's not a big deal for them and wrote down "no core" on the can. He advised me to not take it off next time though.

I've loaded and unloaded thousands upon thousands of SR mags. I've never written no core on the report or can. The people at the lab see this daily and can figure out there is no core pretty quickly. You can write it if you want but it takes time and the goal of the collapsible core was to save the loader time. With a collapsible core, you never have to find, carry use a regular core. It was a great invention. You should always test the collapsible cores film gripping ability to see if it holds the film. Simply place a strip of film in the core, push the clasp onto the film and gently pull the film. THe core should hold the film. If it slip easily, just give the core a few extra winds. You don't want the core to spin freely inside the film. It gets ugly.