Zeiss ZF vs. Cine lenses on RED

• Premium Member

So it's apples and oranges, I know, but I'm trying to get a sense of how the nikon mount Zeiss ZF lenses compare to Cookes or Ultra Primes. I've seen Cookes on 35mm, and the ZF's on a lens adapter on an HVX, but I've never seen both on the RED, which is the format we're shooting. I'm searching all kinds of videos to try to understand.

It would be my guess that the ZF's might look a little sharper and cooler than the Cookes, but would breathe and maybe show some fringing too.

Anyone have experience shooting with both or care to take a guess?

• Premium Member

OK, this answers some of my questions I guess.

http://www.zeiss.com/C125756900453232/Cont...12575820044C5D7

The combination of the resolution of the cine lenses, the sturdy housing, and the number of blades in the iris, I guess everything's in favor of the UP's or Cookes.

It really depends on your final output. On youtube the difference between UP and these ZF primes is minimal, having shot with both on a RED. I understand different lenses have an inherent color cast but after you run the footage through Color/Scratch etc. that is not that important.

On set having properly geared UP/SS with a 270 degree focus rotation makes them much easier for an AC to manage. However on a run and gun RED shoot the ZF primes are VERY lightweight and are very fast for the money. A couple people offer services to get them geared and de-clicked (iris).

I'm doing a test soon on a video comparing ZF primes on a MarkII and versus Canon L Primes. ZF primes beign preferred because they are full manual while the L Primes have the floating focus/AF mech.

I'd take that table that Zeiss put out with a grain of salt considering that Zeiss manufactures the ZFs, Ultras, and MPs. I probably could have made that chart just based on their retail price. :lol:

Just my opinion, however.

Matt