Lighting a greenscreen for "touchscreen tabletop" from below? Problems...

Hi!

I have to light a greenscreen on a table, simulating a touchscreen tabletop (like the one in the Control Room of MI-6 at Quantum of Solace).

5 actors will be around the table interacting with it. The greenscreen should be lit from below to have a nice and even lighting level.

Problem is that what happens with the "green" light (coming from below) that will cast all over the actors faces as they face the table? On shots where both the table and actors are seen, will the greenlight interfere with a good keying on post?

Also, I would like to use the lighting coming from the chroma as a "practical" so the actors are illuminated with light "coming from the screen". I was thinking about doing that with fluorescent tubes aligned around the borders of the table from below, next to the virtual screen.

My main problem is the interfering green-light coming from the greenscreen backlight... any help?

Thanks!

Luis

• Premium Member

Much as I hate to state the obvious, couldn't you project the graphics onto the tabletop from below, and make it a practical effect? If you've room to light it, I suspect you've room to do this. Some small modern projectors have enormously wide angle lenses, and you can bounce it off a mirror. Practical effect by far the preferred solution here, I think - I mean, they did it in Aliens, for crying out loud, and that was the mid-80s.

Other than that, there is no single easy solution to green spill. Have you considered using something other that'd match the graphics and just look like normal spill from the screen? It would help if the graphics were fairly monochrome, but you can probably use any colour you like so long as it's far from anything that'll cross the screen in camera.

P