Which camera should i buy?

Rodolpho de Barros

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have a doubt! I think you can help me.

Should i buy:

Magnon SD-412XL,

Bolex 5122 Zoom Macro

or

Keystone Air K-48a with 3 lenses ?

thanks

Well, what do you want to accomplish with a camera? Which one of those (or any other equipment) will help you achieve those/that goal best?

Well, what do you want to accomplish with a camera? Which one of those (or any other equipment) will help you achieve those/that goal best?

Brian,

I don't have a specific thing to do. I just want a camera with good lense, good resolution, good options, including different kinds of fps. Probabily i will use the camera to shoot a comercial and a short movie.

I have other options bisedes Bolex 5122 Zoom Macro, Magnon SD-412XL and Keystone Air K-48a:

BRAUN SUPER 8 COMPACT 350

BELL e HOWER SOUND STAR 4

Magnon Super 8 Z-20

Paximate SUPER SOUND SD-817M

CANON 310 XL

BAUER C1

CANON AUTO ZOOM 318 M

i'll wait for an answer!

thanks

Honestly, I'd stay away from S8, even if you can find one of hte ones that is all manual control.

Otherwise, I'd even recommend R8 over Super just because you are learning all of the things that the pros have to learn.

S8 is too much like video for me, and the cartridge hassles have always outweighed their benefits for me with things like improper speed ratings, jitter, scratching, jamming, etc.

Think you could save up for an H16 or a Bell and Howell? You'll be much better served in the long run.

• Premium Member

The two of us in accord: forget Super-8. Supposed they had named it Mustard-8, would you fall on ?

That's what it is, a sausage of a technology with mustard and ketchup over it, ugly and weird, refer to the film's path in a throw-away plastic cartridge, said to have been tested by astronauts with gloves on their hands. Welcome to the land before time and fairy tales sans end.

There have been 30 years of 8 mm before Super-Eight, and in the millions. Double/Regular-Eight is miles better, and cheaper

Well, maybe the astronauts tested it, the "video" camera on the Apollo program was a gutted S8 body, but I am pretty sure that even in space they opted for 16mm in Mauers.

So they could afford to send 16mm up into space at the cost of hundreds of thousands per pound of mass, but we can't afford to shoot it on the ground today. Incredible.

Honestly, I'd stay away from S8, even if you can find one of hte ones that is all manual control.

Otherwise, I'd even recommend R8 over Super just because you are learning all of the things that the pros have to learn.

S8 is too much like video for me, and the cartridge hassles have always outweighed their benefits for me with things like improper speed ratings, jitter, scratching, jamming, etc.

Think you could save up for an H16 or a Bell and Howell? You'll be much better served in the long run.

Karl,

Thanks for the answer, but i don't wanna stay away from S8! I would like to try more on kind of format. So, i have a doubt of which camera should i buy....anyone who understand of S8, please, answer me!

Thanks for everybody!

• Premium Member

Hello Rodolpho,

I'm a 2-perf 35mm advocate. But, I find S8 (8mm) a viable format solely on the artistic qualities of its images. We've had countless tennis matches here over the costs/merits of S8 vs everything else. Bottom line? If you like how S8 looks, shoot in it.

Important to keep in mind is that S8 is really small. Therefore, all of the optics and mechanics are really critical. There are some very informed folks here that can steer you to the best cameras and tweakers in S8. Don't just get any old thing that falls your way. You'll hate watching image jitter from some old POS from ebay and find yourself longing for something like a Leica or Beaulieu.

Karl,

Thanks for the answer, but i don't wanna stay away from S8! I would like to try more on kind of format. So, i have a doubt of which camera should i buy....anyone who understand of S8, please, answer me!

Thanks for everybody!

I am not dissuading you from 8mm movie film, more S8 in particular, not because of any problems with the size of film, but because of the problems with the cameras being used professionally.

Have you considered DS8, DR8 or R8mm instead?

If those films and cameras are available in your country, I'd recommend any of them over S8.

Steven Spielburg was an avid Double Super 8 shooter.

So again, please don't feel that I am discouraging your use of 8mm film. It is a great way to learn. I think it is a less-painful transition though if you start learning about F/stops, shutter speeds, shutter angles, and manual focus and film loading right from the start.

Or am I misreading you entirely and you have already worked with larger formats?

I just find automatic cameras, in general, that don't have manual overrides to be more effort than they are worth.

I find that I spend more time fighting with a camera that can't be manually overriden than actually shooting.

Hello Rodolpho,

I'm a 2-perf 35mm advocate. But, I find S8 (8mm) a viable format solely on the artistic qualities of its images. We've had countless tennis matches here over the costs/merits of S8 vs everything else. Bottom line? If you like how S8 looks, shoot in it.

Important to keep in mind is that S8 is really small. Therefore, all of the optics and mechanics are really critical. There are some very informed folks here that can steer you to the best cameras and tweakers in S8. Don't just get any old thing that falls your way. You'll hate watching image jitter from some old POS from ebay and find yourself longing for something like a Leica or Beaulieu.

Paul,

What do you think about this http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Bolex_5122_Sound_Macrozoom ? I'm thinking in buying this.

In matter of fact, i don't know very much about S8, for this reason i'm here.

thanks

I am not dissuading you from 8mm movie film, more S8 in particular, not because of any problems with the size of film, but because of the problems with the cameras being used professionally.

If those films and cameras are available in your country, I'd recommend any of them over S8.

So again, please don't feel that I am discouraging your use of 8mm film. It is a great way to learn. I think it is a less-painful transition though if you start learning about F/stops, shutter speeds, shutter angles, and manual focus and film loading right from the start.

Or am I misreading you entirely and you have already worked with larger formats?

I just find automatic cameras, in general, that don't have manual overrides to be more effort than they are worth.

I find that I spend more time fighting with a camera that can't be manually overriden than actually shooting.

Karl,

I didn't think that you was dissuading me from 8mm movie film, sorry for having express me like that.

I don't have experience in 8/16/35mm and i didn't know about DS8, DR8 or R8mm.

I'm searching for one here in Brazil, but i didn't find it and i guess it doesn't exist anymore to sell.

Do you advice me to buy this Bolex or anyone that i put here?

Double Super 8 film is very hard to come by these days.

The automatic camera thing is a really good point. There are plenty of S8 cameras with manual controls and it s best to try and stick to those because if you get a camera that is all manual and it has a bad light meter (more and more likely as cameras get older) then you have a fairly useless lump of metal/plastic. Also a camera with manual exposure gives you more options when working with films like Vision3 500T.

love

Freya

Paul,

What do you think about this http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Bolex_5122_Sound_Macrozoom ? I'm thinking in buying this.

In matter of fact, i don't know very much about S8, for this reason i'm here.

thanks

At least this one claims to have manual exposure.

It actually looks like quite a nice camera if the price is right as it has an intervalometer and other fun features.

The Bolex S8 cameras are generally not the best but this one does look quite nice. It will probably be very heavy as it is a sound camera and bolex were quite bad in that regard for their sound cameras and obviously none of the sound features will work as you havn't been able to buy sound film in S8 for some considerable years.

Keep an eye out for cameras made by Bauer, Canon, Minolta, Beaulieu is my recommendation and make sure the one you get has manual exposure.

However the 5122 might be a good option if the price s low enough as it has a very high featureset and manual exposure.

love

Freya

Does someone know anything about the Keystone BEL AIR K-48A, it has 3 lenses: 13mm; 9mm and 38mm, can shoot in 12,14, 24 e 48fps. Is it better than Bolex 5122 Zoom Macro?

Above are the references to cameras:

Keystone Air -> K-48a http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/item?sit...amp;id=93905913

CANON AUTO ZOOM 318 M -> http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_Zoom_318

BRAUN SUPER 8 COMPACT 350-> http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Braun_Comp...tor-Zoom-Reflex

CANON 310 XL -> http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_310_XL

BAUER C1 -> http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Bauer_C_1_Super

Magnon SD-412XL -> http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-97425976-_JM

Magnon Super 8 Z-20 -> http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/item?sit...amp;id=90521712

Paximate SUPER SOUND SD-817M -> http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-956...em-original-_JM

Magnon Ton - 800 Super Eight Reflex Hi - Sound -> http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-950...ex-hi-sound-_JM

Does someone know anything about the Keystone BEL AIR K-48A, it has 3 lenses: 13mm; 9mm and 38mm, can shoot in 12,14, 24 e 48fps. Is it better than Bolex 5122 Zoom Macro?

I'm guessing this is standard8 and not s8.

Can you tell me the difference?

That's what I was recommending.

Unless he is talking about Single 8mm, which, I think is the same as S8 but only works in proprietary Japanese cameras, regular 8 uses 16mm-sized sprocket holes spaced twice as frequently as standard 16mm (I think every 3.75mm (~148mils) as opposed to every 7.5mm (295mils) with 16mm film), on both sides of the film.

They usually come in 25-foot (7.62m) ( (formerly 50-foot (15.24m) models were available as well) and 100-foot (30.48m) lengths.

You film 25-feet at a time, flip the film over and film again. So you film only half the width of the 16mm film at a time, then slit to 8mm width afterwards.

That "cool" effect of red fog at the end of a clip that all the vidiots love to emulate is a very real problem with shooting with this format unless you use changing bags to flip rolls.

I'd recommend a changing bag too.

One BIG advanatage of DR8 (standard 8) and DS8 is that they look like standard 16mm films, and can be processed at the same professional rates.

Theoretically, they could be one-light printed too before slittling on 16mm continuous exposure printers too.

One disadvantage is that the standard 16mm perf eats up a lot of space, especially with twice the frequency per unit length and being on both sides of the film.

S8 perfs were smaller, nearer the edge of the film, and allowed for bigger image area.

If DS8 cameras weren't commanding a premium, I'd say it is hands-down the best format. Due to its cost though, R8 is a better option for those on a tight budget.

In general, DR8 and DS8 cameras are from the '50s or before, and are often designed to be operated by winding up clock-work motors.

S8 cameras tend to be flimsier and electronic, which also, forty + years later, makes them far more finicky and repair-prone.

Keep in mind that, in the '60s, the concept of truly disposable cameras was introduced, so a lot of these S8 cameras were only designed to run maybe 20 cartridges before they died.

I used this: http://www.nacamera.com/nacamera/themes/nacamera/images/beaulieu_lg.gif ://http://www.nacamera.com/nacamera/th...eaulieu_lg.gif to shoot a feature years ago while in college. I was able to use 200 foot mags of Kodachrome 40 which comes in handy.

Beaulieu 7008 Pro

The Beaulieu 7008 Pro is a quiet running Super 8mm camera with many features including: built-in crystal speed control (4-80 fps), intervalometer, reflex viewfinder, variable shutter, in-viewfinder light meter. Camera runs standard Super 8mm stocks, or Super 8mm color negative stocks.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...pOZzWlQfG--WsCQ

From the horse's mouth (Martin Baumgarten):

Super8mm (13:21:36): The Keystone is useless.....it's a magazine camera and would be a pain and costly to use...since there is ONLY one place in the world that loads those mags.....me.

Super8mm (13:21:56): More film choices in Super 8mm....and nice low light ability as well.

Super8mm (13:23:09): I can't post anything, so I can't help him out. There are 3 cameras he mentioned that would be useful to him....but the others are of less use and the Keystone useless.

Super8mm (13:23:35): Cartridges are rarely troublesome..... [CRUDE SEXUAL JOKE]

Lol. That's all I could gleam from Martin before he logged out. He tried to join the site, but says he never got a confirmation e-mail.

So - Super 8 doesn't let you learn about the art of thinking creatively about filmspeed, colours and reaction to light? The single act of loading and threading the film rather than inserting a cartridge is the line in the sand between a pro and an amateur? I think we need to establish that the word professional comes from profession - meaning you earn your living this way - let us not forget that it is the person holding the camera that creates - not the camera or format.

Super 8 has never been and never will be like video - EVER. This statement is just wrong. I'll agree with you that the format is not perfect - but that is the nature of the beast and what draws some people to the format. It is limited - but if you can harness the limitations of the format and get the most out of the benefits - than you will have a rewarding experience.

Not if you want to shoot Super 8.

Edited by Jamie Noakes

The two of us in accord: forget Super-8. Supposed they had named it Mustard-8, would you fall on ?

That's what it is, a sausage of a technology with mustard and ketchup over it, ugly and weird, refer to the film's path in a throw-away plastic cartridge, said to have been tested by astronauts with gloves on their hands. Welcome to the land before time and fairy tales sans end.

There have been 30 years of 8 mm before Super-Eight, and in the millions. Double/Regular-Eight is miles better, and cheaper

Forget Super-8? Why? Just because you think it is made like sausages and has too much condiment added? So it has an unstable film path in a cheap plastic throw away cartridge? Why didn't it die back in 1965 then - and why is it still in use today some 30 years after most manufacturers stopped making cameras? Well it is because people WANT to shoot Super 8 and KNOW it is a flawed format! It is far from ugly - quite the opposite. The world would be a boring place if everything was perfect and regimented. 35, 16, Reg 8 and Super 8 all co exist because there IS a choice.

If you don't like - that's just fine - nobody is forcing you - but it is there for use by the open minded.

Hello Rodolpho,

I'm glad someone with a clear, sensible, succinct and above all encouraging approach was able to respond here! Thank you!

Don't confuse the poor guy!

The Bolex is by far the best camera of the three-- it's pretty rare too-- if it works go for it at a good price. There are no sound cartridges but silents will work fine. It wasn't made in Switzerland though.. but big deal.

Double 8 film is hard to find. And Spielberg used a 16mm Bolex, at least for his later teenage stuff.

Why don't you just find a good cheap Kodak M-2 to start with? $10.

Edited by Jim Carlile

Hello Rodolpho,

From the cameras models you listed, I agree with Jim Carlile that Bolex 5122 Sound Macrozoom seems be the best option.

some comments based on what A. Puistot's "Super 8 List" reports about some of those cameras you listed :

Canon Zoom 318 is only auto-exposure.

Braun Compact 350 Macro Motor-Zoom-Reflex , could be an option , if a fixed 18fps speed is ok for the project(s) you plan to do with the camera.

Canon 310 XL is only auto-exposure (with backlight adjustments)

May be you could search other cameras options.

here is a few links :

www.pro8mm.com

http://www.super8film.at

for more information concerning super-8 , here is a link (spanish) to one research about super-8 and digital intermediate.

www.filmhalogenuros.cl

bye bye

Daniel Henríquez Ilic

post-data : I agree with comments of Jamie Noakes supporting super-8 !!!!!!

Edited by Daniel Henriquez Ilic