Inexpensive Hazer vs. Fogger

Hi, I'm starting soon on a horror show and we want to fog a number of scenes, primarily day and night interiors and, if possible, night exteriors as well. This is mostly to add depth and fill to scenes of high contrast.

We are considering either of these two units for purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-Hurricane-10...e/dp/B0002HA7LI

http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=9101

I want to use a hazer (although I've never used one before) because I don't like the visible wispiness of fog and would prefer an even cover. But it appears that the fogger has four times the output. If we're doing night exteriors in a large, open area, will these units prove insufficient? Would we need to rent a much larger hazer and generator (beyond our budget) to get enough output?

Fog seems to get lost easily in convection currents, but we can't wait more than five minutes for the hazer to fill an area (night exteriors) as we move very quickly...am I asking for something I'll never get? In that case, which unit should I settle for?

Thanks,

-Matt

Matt,

About a year ago I was faced with the same problem, the tough decision of whether to get a fogger or hazer. After about a week of research I decided to go with the fogger. I chose this because it is possible to get the hazer effect with a fogger but it isn't possible to get a fogger look with a hazer.

If you fan out the smoke, it should disperse pretty well, it is a little wispy but it gets the job done.

Tom

Matt,

I chose this because it is possible to get the hazer effect with a fogger but it isn't possible to get a fogger look with a hazer.

Tom

There is a number of hazers out there that do have the function to do everything a smoke machine does in terms of fogging. However, I would imagine rental on one of these units per day would be pretty comparable to what you are looking at spending to buy.

Due mostly to cost, we chose a chauvet fogger. We can't even afford rosco juice, so I think an appropriate hazer would have been way over budget. Thanks for the advice; I feel more confident we made the right choice now.