Anthony Dod Mantle, BSC, DFF

Hi folks

What do you guys think of Academy Award Winning cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle ?

I personally think he is a great DP, specially when it comes to Digital Cinematography. If anyone has seen his last work at Lars Von Trier's "Antichrist", you will really get what I mean. He shot the entire film with the RED ONE camera, combined with extreme highspeed footage shot on the Phantom HD camera. On the big screen it looked gorgeous and very close to 35mm.

In case you wonder who he is, he is the guy who photographed 28 Days Later, The Last King of Scotland and Slumdog Millionaire. He frequently works with danish film directors like Lars Von Trier and Thomas Vinterberg.

And for all of your who admires his work, don't forget to join his new Facebook fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anthony-Dod-Mantle/71235425539

I was lucky enough to have Anthony come into my film school here in Australia about a month ago and spend the day with us.

I have to say that I was a fan of his before but after spending the day with him, he just blew me away! Such a brilliant and lovely guy.

I really liked Slumdog but it probably wasn't my top choice for the oscar, But after having him explain how he shot it and go through the film after a screening explaining all the technical processes he went through to accomplish it I think he was more than worthy of winning!

He also spoke about the shooting the last king of scotland and the challenges of exposure on that film. Having to shoot a character who is the whitest of white and the other who is the blackest of black in the same scene and getting a great looking finished product is a pretty skilled DP in my eyes.

Cant wait to see his next film!!

I think he's brilliant, one of my favorites. I first heard about him in the Danish dogme95 movies, but shooting Last King of Scotland, Dear Wendy (another danish film), Julien Donkey Boy, and 28 days later really solidified my love for his work.

• 4 months later...
I think he's brilliant, one of my favorites. I first heard about him in the Danish dogme95 movies, but shooting Last King of Scotland, Dear Wendy (another danish film), Julien Donkey Boy, and 28 days later really solidified my love for his work.

I had the pleasure of working on his graduating film at the Danish Filmschool,

as an assistant doing lights, occasionally as dolly grip and shooting stills.

I was young and energetic. 16 hour days, but that´s the name of the game.

Cinematography is not for the weakhearted.

Anthony Dod Mantle is a pleasant and very inspiring and funny personality, but also demanding, but in a friendly and funny way.

I think this goes a long way in managing a crew under difficult shooting conditions.

Anyway I understand his success, since he is artistically uncompromising, and he knows what he wants and he knows how to get it.

Even back then in 1987, the year I started working in the movie Industry.

:rolleyes: