Film School for Cinematography

Kartik Jangam

Hey guys,

New to the forums, and new to cinematography. I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum or if this question has already popped up somewhere else.

I am very interested in photography especially cinematography and was wondering if there are any recommended film schools here in Canada that I could attend to put my foot in this career path. I am a novice but know very basic technical knowledge about cameras and fundamentals of shooting. My main interest is camera operation so if someone could please advise me I would really appreciate it. I have done one year of computer science at Mount Royal College but I am not satisfied by the results that maybe attained from it and I prefer hands on work from the start.

Thanks for any insight.

Hey guys,

New to the forums, and new to cinematography. I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong forum or if this question has already popped up somewhere else.

I am very interested in photography especially cinematography and was wondering if there are any recommended film schools here in Canada that I could attend to put my foot in this career path. I am a novice but know very basic technical knowledge about cameras and fundamentals of shooting. My main interest is camera operation so if someone could please advise me I would really appreciate it. I have done one year of computer science at Mount Royal College but I am not satisfied by the results that maybe attained from it and I prefer hands on work from the start.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi, Kartik!

You're likely to get some random results here, but I recommend you contact the schools that most interest you and first ask for their curriculum and then speak directly with professors in the department. An comprehensive list of schools throughout Canada (and the world) is available at http://www.realfilmcareer.com and http://www.whatireallywanttodo.com. Just click on the "Filmschools" link at either site then navigate to Canada! It's that easy!

Before going in, know that "camera operation" is just a part of the job. Lighting is perhaps a larger element of being a professional Cameraman/Director of Photography/Videographer/Cinematographer. Whichever school or experience you choose, be sure that you are getting a great education in lighting a variety of situations. Cameras are nothing more than boxes with holes in them to collect images. The rest of the stuff on them are bonus items to help. Knowing what you can and should about the equipment, both specifically and more fundamentally, is what you need to know. A school MAY be able to teach you some of it, but the majority of your education will come from field experience as you're dealing w with real schedules and budgets and personalities.

• Premium Member

If I was to serve my time again, I'd look at getting a job in a Rental Facility like Arri Media or Panalux (here in the UK). That way you get to work with pretty much all the latest technolgies around, get to know the crews that are using the equipment (soft networking) and eventually going out with the equipment with the most popular gaffers.

Film Schools serve a purpose but if I knew then what I know now I would have skipped my stint at Film school and started on the shop floor of a big rental facility.

Of course this is only my opinion. I'm sure there will be 101 other people saying you need to go to Film School, personally I wouldn't.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your prospective career path.

after more searching around, I found a lot of people recommending Ryerson University in Toronto.Looking into that, but first might as well finish the second year of uni before jumping in. Thanks for your input guys.

• Premium Member

Here's an interesting thought....and I'm thinking out loud here......How much does it cost to go to film schools these days?

Wouldn't it be great/better if you handed a reputable facilities company the cash/grant/bursary for your education for a placement onto a Government approved apprenticeship scheme.....offering said company tax breaks for the length of term (apprenticeship) etc etc etc and giving the apprentice an 'Old School' approach to learning...No?