Your best analysis on DP Robert Richardson's set up here

Same DP as inglorious Bastards, DP Robert Richardson, can anyone help me with this? I see smoke in the background, I see like maybe 1/2 CTO in the smoke? Do I see HMI at a steep angle of incidence top and left? Could I do the same with a Par?

Are there 2 foreground lights? Or is the fill is just from a b-board? There must be at least 2 lights here...where else is the cold warm thing coming from and the light ratio.

But no doulble shadow..That is impressive.Any thoughts at picking this apart?

Robert, if your out there... or any experienced DP please? :(

post-41253-1245906409.jpg

• Premium Member

A PAR can either be an HMI or a tungsten. Since you don't know the color balance of the film stock used, or the overall color temp of the scene, you don't know whether an HMI or tungsten was used just by looking at this picture. But considering how fond Richardson is of tungsten lights, odds favor that over HMI's (also, it's not a good idea to point an HMI PAR straight down.)

I see a bright top/back light coming straight down slightly to the right of center. From the left there is another hot back/edge light coming in but from slightly low -- it's causing the kick on the shotgun barrel and the hot collar on her shirt and hot edge on his cheek. The hot edge on the bottom of his elbow could be coming from another low back/edge light.

The low fill could easily just be a bounce card reflecting the top/back light back onto the faces.

A PAR can either be an HMI or a tungsten. Since you don't know the color balance of the film stock used, or the overall color temp of the scene, you don't know whether an HMI or tungsten was used just by looking at this picture. But considering how fond Richardson is of tungsten lights, odds favor that over HMI's (also, it's not a good idea to point an HMI PAR straight down.)

I see a bright top/back light coming straight down slightly to the right of center. From the left there is another hot back/edge light coming in but from slightly low -- it's causing the kick on the shotgun barrel and the hot collar on her shirt and hot edge on his cheek. The hot edge on the bottom of his elbow could be coming from another low back/edge light.

The low fill could easily just be a bounce card reflecting the top/back light back onto the faces.

Sweet analysis Sir. Thank you!!!