music video film stock and processing

hello people suggest me the right chain!

i m shooting a music video on 16 mm with vision 200T i ' d like to achieve this look:

hight contrast,grainy,texture enhanced,and a bit desaturated look...i d like to print for a future projection...

i m thinking to :

expose to 200 asa and 1.5 stop push with bleach bypass positive

expose to 400 asa and 1.5 stop push with bleach bypass positive

the push processing should compensate the desaturation level after the bleach bypass (less effect)??

thanks

Edited by DaNiElE BeLArDo

What you are proposing is very unusual for a Music Video production.... It seems to me you should control your image by your choices in Film Stock, asa rating, push/ pull, cross processing and skip bleach (on the Neg).... and Telecine session....

I would leave the Print out of it until the very end... then do a Film out...

Just my 2 cents.

I have to ask: Where on Earth did you come up with 1-1/2 stops of push?

Why not 1/2, 1, or 2 stops?

Yes, doing any prints is also quite unusual for a music video. Do you realize what doing this will cost above and beyond what a big-budget video these days normally gets?

Yes, doing any prints is also quite unusual for a music video. Do you realize what doing this will cost above and beyond what a big-budget video these days normally gets?

this is a my personal project that will be projected in some theater here in rome (experimental). yes it is very unusual for a commercial music video......but it isn't..

yes i have a budget for a simple 5 minutes print , i think that is no problem...

this is a my personal project that will be projected in some theater here in rome (experimental). yes it is very unusual for a commercial music video......but it isn't..

yes i have a budget for a simple 5 minutes print , i think that is no problem...

PULL PROCESS - not push process for bleach bypass/skip bleach. Search the archives for "Northfork". It's a movie David Mullen, ASC shot. He explains in great detail how he used the skip bleach process.

Kodak Vision2 200t is already pretty flat looking( contrast). Pay close attention to wardrobe and set design. That will help dial in the look as well. I'll post some examples when I get a chance. Consider having your cut negative printed onto KODAK 2395 TELEPRINT. Have the lab run bleach bypass on THAT INSTEAD OF YOUR NEGATIVE. A non-bleach print looks different than a non-bleach negative.

Be prepared to UNDEREXPOSE by about 1-1/2 to 2 stops for bleach bypass negative. To see

examples of bleach bypass negative check out MUNICH (Janus Kaminsli). The scene where the bomb

goes off when the main characters are in the hotel room together is skip bleach negative, as well

as when the main guy is questioned by his superiors.

PULL PROCESS

[. . .]

Be prepared to UNDEREXPOSE by about 1-1/2 to 2 stops for bleach bypass negative. To see

examples of bleach bypass negative check out MUNICH (Janus Kaminsli).

I think I understand what is being said now.

Be sure you understand, Daniele, you want to either do ONE or the OTHER, not pull and compensate exposure. In fact, if lighting conditions are right, you may just want to try to save money and compensate for the exposure in-camera instead of having a lab do it.

Most labs don't want to do half-stop alterations. They'll want to do either a 1-stop, or 2-stop pull, not a 1-1/2. You'll have to check with your specific lab to see if that is even possible with their machine, as different machines achieve pulls in different ways.

Hey Borowski,

There's a gag commercial they run every night on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network, that shows an old 8mm film of a family supposedly named Borowski sitting around a kitchen table playing some board game. Any relation?

Hey Borowski,

There's a gag commercial they run every night on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network, that shows an old 8mm film of a family supposedly named Borowski sitting around a kitchen table playing some board game. Any relation?

Sorry, haven't seen it, so I can't say one way or the other :P

At least immediately, no one in my family shot /shoots home movies, except for me.

I actually should probably shorten my last name to an initial, because I've actually had people try to contact me on here, thinking I am one of the other ones on the internet in the U.S. The last name is, according to one family member, the Polish equivalent of "Smith".