Nike Soccer Commercial

David Desio

Hey all,

I have a shoot coming up where we are going for this type of action: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsizQdNKhGg

Now we have done something similar using an HVX rigged to a shoulder mount and harness but it gave me very limited and uncomfortabe movement.

I think a lipstick cam would work mounted on a helmut but I need to have the best resolution possible to work with as it will be inter-cut with DVCPROHD footage at 1080.

Any suggestions on cameras?

Also this will be shot in New Jersey so I wonder if anyone knows of a rental house in that area.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by David Desio

Hey all,

I have a shoot coming up where we are going for this type of action: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsizQdNKhGg

Now we have done something similar using an HVX rigged to a shoulder mount and harness but it gave me very limited and uncomfortabe movement.

I think a lipstick cam would work mounted on a helmut but I need to have the best resolution possible to work with as it will be inter-cut with DVCPROHD footage at 1080.

Any suggestions on cameras?

Also this will be shot in New Jersey so I wonder if anyone knows of a rental house in that area.

Thanks,

Dave

It's 1280 x 720 but it should cut with 1080 HVX footage . It's cheap, too. Check this out :

http://www.filmtools.com/vhold-contourhd-camera-1200.html

Resolution Settings HD (1280x720) 30 fps SD (848x480) 60 fps (not finalized)

5 Mega-pixel CMOS Image Sensor

Codec: H.264

File Type: .mov

Type: Removable MicroSD (SDHC compatible)

Capacity: Up to 16GB (2GB included)

Average Record Time:

• HD: 30min per GB

• SD: 60min per GB

Check this out!!

http://www.iconixvideo.com/products.html

Panavision is carrying these I believe. That's where I first saw one.

Andy

Holy resolution batman!

That seems to be what we're looking for. Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll let you all know how it goes and post a link once it's operational.

Dave

• Premium Member

Sounds like a fun project David. That Nike spot is really well done. I hadn't seen it, so thanks for posting.

I have one thought regarding mounting: If I were doing the shot I would make sure the camera could be panned and tilted (at least a little) while mounted so that you don't get stuck depending on how the helmet fits on the operators head and constantly trying to adjust the helmet to control the frame.

Good luck.

Sounds like a fun project David. That Nike spot is really well done. I hadn't seen it, so thanks for posting.

I have one thought regarding mounting: If I were doing the shot I would make sure the camera could be panned and tilted (at least a little) while mounted so that you don't get stuck depending on how the helmet fits on the operators head and constantly trying to adjust the helmet to control the frame.

Good luck.

Thank you. That may be something we try to figure out, I'll be wearing the rig and doing football related things, training, running, getting tackled, etc. Its for a certain New York team that may or may not reside in New Jersey...:)

• Premium Member

Just used the iconix last weekend going onto a Panasonic Gear P2 card thingy....(?).... lenses supplied were no great but C mount so there must be options not great, very sharp and harsh. I also made the mistake of wearing the unit myself which meant monitoring the exposure was very difficult. Mistake.

But for what it was, very impressed and the ability to run at 50 was useful

Thanks Mitch, I'll check them out as well.

Yes Tony, I found that when you are rigged up, it's hard enough trying to keep the image in frame/focus and "acting" as the POV character. I'll have someone else watching the monitor to check exposure and watch for bogies.

I don't want to steer this thread in a different direction, but I just watched that Nike ad and was amazed by the visual quality - it looks almost as though it was CG, the images look like HDR photos. How is this visual quality achieved?! Iv never seen anything quite like it...

• Premium Member
I'll have someone else watching the monitor to check exposure and watch for bogies.

How are you going to monitor it? Are you going to be wired?

You might consider trying some VR glasses. Seems like they would be perfect for this type of thing.

• Premium Member
How are you going to monitor it? Are you going to be wired?

You might consider trying some VR glasses. Seems like they would be perfect for this type of thing.

I considered the VR glasses for my project, but it was a live pit lane at Snetterton Race Circuit. Its beyong my ability to switch from the camera image to my own eyes and back as necessary. i'd have fallen over or been run down! Also when 'acting' the 1st person trying to take (in my example) a pen to sign an autograph or a pair of race gloves from 'my' mechanic using anything other than actual vision would be a disaster. So for my project I opted to guestimate the framing, which was actually very easy.

The only option was to be wired to a Panasonic Gear being worn by the Grip who was helping to guide me and watch for cars entering the pit from behind us, so the exposure was set by my assistant (and a rather over influential Post Supervisor!) at the head of the take and off we went.

Last time I was tethered to an 8" pansonic monitor wich I held as I guided the actor/op. He used a flip out LCD screen to "see". The camera we used was an HVX200 mounted to his chest. For this I think just try to get the best frame, tether to the 8" so my AC can watch it as he Guides me. For exposure we'll have to meter and go off of the monitor. I know that its not ideal but I don't have any better ideas yet.

• Premium Member

If I were doing the shot I'd probably just do it blind, like Tony. It's not that hard once you know your lens size. I've done it in a few strange steadicam situations in the past and was happily surprised with the results. I suggested the VR glasses as an option, but I don't think I would use them myself.