The Brazen Bull

Hey Jayson, thank you so much for your detailed answer. May I also ask how AFI helped you develop as a DP, technically, artistically and socially (network wise)?

Thanks a lot, appreciate the information

Jamie - Yes, the switch between REC709/Redspace/RAW came after reboots only, but it was hit or miss (we'd go days without an issue and then suddenly it would happen 3 or 4 times in a day). Thanks for the tip - I'll be sure to use a SD card in the future

i've experienced the same situation. no words.

• Premium Member

Thanks David!

XiaoSu - If you poke around in the archives, I've discussed my experiences at AFI quite a bit, so that may be of help as well. In general, AFI isn't a very technical school - I learned a great deal more about cinematography as an art-form (and from that you're forced to REALLY focus on mastering the craft in the pursuit of art); don't misunderstand me - AFI isn't an "art-school", but the central focus of the program is collaboration and the singular importance of the story, and then using the tools around you to help best tell that story visually, as opposed to a program that has a lot of equipment and teaches you a lot of technique. I think some of the best work I've ever done was my first year at AFI with virtually no equipment, but instead a group of passionate, intelligent people taking bold risks with essentially no resources. It's a program designed to take students who have a firm grasp of the basics on cinematography and push them to get past "how" and start thinking in terms of "what and why" - not "how" should I light this, but start with "what" is the story and "why" should it be lit a certain way (as an example). I also learned a great deal more about set management. In terms of net-working, that's a tough call - I've done 2 features with classmates from AFI, and worked a great deal with other people from my class, so on the surface I'd say I made some great contacts; with that said, however, the majority of my work has been a result of relationships that had nothing (directly) to do with the people I met or know from AFI. Like any educational institution or program, it's largely a matter of what you get from it is directionally proportional to what you put in to it. Does that help?