How do you create a hypnotic saquence?

Guest Ultra Definition

Guest Ultra Definition

I have a question. Is there any book or article on hypnotizing the audience? What are the effects on enjoying the movie, on wanting to see it again? It is alawys a combination of light and sound, like the credit sequance in Bourn Identity, or the sequence in Streets of Fire, when Tom Cody walks with his crew through the city before boarding the bus, I believe, and we have this nearly flashing type illumination. These scenes just came to mind as being really hypnotic.

Do directors ever ask for creating hypnotic sequences? Does anyone have any insight into audience hypnosis and suggestions during this induced hypnosis? Is there any research on effects on the audience, etc.? Are there any legal issues?

Is there a formula for movie hypnosis?

Any help would be greately appreciated.

I believe there was a Stan Brakhage short that used a series of vertical lines in semi-repeating patterns that was supposedly accused of a hypnosis attempt or possibly Brakhage admitted this was his purpose. A long time ago so I can't recall precisely, but you might be able to find info on this.

Guest Ultra Definition

Thanks guys. I haven't seen Europa. I'm still thinking of the two films I mentioned and these hypnotizing scenes really stuck in my mind. Thinking about it now, the techno band scene in xXx was pretty hypnotic too. The animated end sequence in xXx had similar music, as far as I remember, as in Bourn Identity; that sequence was hypnotizing too. I'll have to see those two movies again. The only problem is it's no longer shown in theaters and the effect on a TV screen is so diminished.

I just wonder if you could make a film that is the most hypnotic; what would be the effect? Do any of the large productions ever work with psychologists on this particular aspect? Judging from xXx and Bourn Identity, it may be something new: A hypnotizing sequence at the end that may have something to do in guaranteeing that you come to see a sequel. I wonder if they ever sneek any subliminal messages into movies. Is it legal?

Some films get you into the hypnotic state more subtly. When you're all imersed in the film, you are in some kind of hypnotic or semi-hypnotic state, I believe.

It would be nice if a formula existed to get people in the quickest time into the most hypnotic state and keep them there the whole time. I guess it would not work with many stories.

But a good film more or less get you into a semi-hypnotic state, I believe. I just rememered The Last Year in Marienbad that I saw many years back. Boring to some people; I'm sure semi-hypnotizing to others.

A film that would hypnotize you from the start and keep you in this state nonstop may bave the most important ingredient for a successful movie, the magic potion that may not have been discovered yet.

Read a good book on hypnosis. I learned hypnosis many years ago, and there is nothing mysterious to it. Remember that the process of seeing a movie is already a kind of slight trance, provided you are watching a good film.

There are many things to take care of, but in my opinion you are most likely to produce a hypnotic effect if you relax the viewer through soothing soundscapes (music, effects) and a deep, rich narrator's voice. The trouble is that part of the audience wants ACTION not relaxation, so this is more of a project for art exhibition, multimedia installations and events like that.

Oh, and don't think you're the first one to have that idea - IIRC there are several old horror films with a prologue that attempts to hypnotize the audience. You might get an experienced show hypnotist who knows his business and use him as an actor, maybe it works.

Better make a good movie, it's easier than manipulating people by such tricks... ;)

Guest Ultra Definition

Thanks for the information.

Of course everyone wants to make a good movie. But there is more to it. Some people come to theaters stressed out, with problems, and there may be an ingredient somewhere to get them enjoy the film quicker and more.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm gonna be the only one with a counter-view on the subject here, I guess.

First of all, the story about how they flashed 1 frame that said "buy popcorn" or "buy Coke" (it always changes depending on who is telling the story) in a theater, and people bought more popcorn or coke, is an urban legend.

(go to www.snopes.com to see the whole story, as well as lots of other urban legends).

In fact, some guy in the 50's claimed he did an experiment and did this, but when scientists tried to replicate his results, they couldn't, called him on it, and he admitted that he made the whole thing up.

But by that time, it was already part of popular folklore, and I still hear this repeated, and it's even taught in some college psychology classes, which is scary if you ask me.

So there's no way you're going to do something with flash frames or whatever, that's going to result in actual altered behavior that the person is unaware of. You can annoy them, relax them, give them information that makes them come to certain conclusions, etc., but that's not hypnotism.

The other thing is, there are those who do not believe that there IS such a thing as a true hypnotic state.

My mother was a hypnotist for many years, and I've done a lot of study on it, as well as first hand experience, and I would have to agree with Kreskin (arguably the worlds most well known hypnotist!) that there in fact is no such thing.

"Power of suggestion" is exactly that; people acting like they are expected to act in certain circumstances, and not from some external force being mysteriously imposed on them.

None of this may be exactly what you're talking about, but if you're using the term "hypnosis", then I assume you mean it's classic, common definition.

Matt Pacini

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I remembered reading, though, about a law in the US that bans actual hypnotic suggestions in movies because tests were shown that audience members can literally be hypnotized during the movie. You might want to look into that too, since there's probably information you could use or should know.

Josh Hill

joshhill@hot.rr.com

I have to disagree with Matt Pacini and his mother. Hypnosis is a real phenomenon. I'd argue that no "power of suggestion" can provide an insensitivity to the pains that hypnosis can provide in dentistry and surgery. And, have you ever tried a suggestion with a chicken? Still, you can hypnotize one quite easily, if you know how.

Thanks to stage hypnotists, films, and television, there's a lot of misinformation on the subject. And, I would suggest avoiding an attempt to hypnotize a theater audience, as you may prompt lawsuits by people who would blame you for their own silly behaviours. Strobing lights could also provoke epileptic seizures. Why not simply provide them with a good story and entertain them? A title or credit sequence utilising optical illusions would be a nice touch.