Am I the only one here that cringes when...

Dan Salzmann

• Premium Member
I though it would have gone without saying that the artist would choose the best medium that is within their budget. I guess I was wrong.

I'm not judging film, I think film is superior to the red or the viper or genesis (i wasn't talking about a film out from prosumer cameras that's ridiculous)...I just don't have the means to afford to learn and shoot with it.

I think you are intentionally looking for an argument. I didn't say digital was better than film.

To clarify my position further. The difference in the final print for projection between the best digital and film is so small after the DI that if the average viewer has time or attention to even notice, then the content probably needs some work.

sorry for the confusion.

I'm sorry if my post came across as argumentative. That was not my intention.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Shooter comes from the WW II front. Like O. K. for Zero Killed

But both explanations are wrong. One could as well point out that shooting pictures of wildlife goes parallel with shooting deer.

O. K. were the initials of a German collaborator with the Ford works, an Otto Kaiser, who did the final check and signed for each car that passed.

It's a very male world, anyway, so we shoot. Women perceive everything differently. When they have their way you never hear shooter.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.

When I first got into film/tv, I always imagined people who done it got a lot attention from all kinds of people because they worked on stuff that goes out nationally and maybe even internationally.

Uhh.. yeh, right. Wanna get the girls don't bother with anything but feature length films starring Daniel Radcliffe.

I think the word 'shooter' probably emanated from shootingpeople.com where members are reffered to as shooters.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
One could as well point out that shooting pictures of wildlife goes parallel with shooting deer.

So when I'm shooting people, especially with a long lens, can I be referred to as a "Sniper"?

I think the word 'shooter' probably emanated from shootingpeople.com where members are reffered to as shooters.

I think it's older than that.

It really is too bad that people care so much about the semantics..

I "shoot" moving images.. I am a cinematographer.. I am a photographer of motion pictures.. I am an image technician.. I "capture" light with a motion picture camera.. I am a Director of Photography.. I am a recorder of moving time.. I am a videographer.. I am a creative visual strategist.. I write with light.. I am a visual story teller.. I am a cameraman.. I am a lightologist.. I am a psychologically manipulative person that forces people to feel through imagery..

If I "shoot/capture with/record on to" film, I am no different than one who "shoots/captures with/records on to" digital.. If I "shoot/capture/record" narrative structure, I am no different than one who "shoots/captures/records" weddings..

If I create a great image that tells a story, I am doing my job..

.. and I love my job

Edited by Jesse Cairnie

• Premium Member
If I "shoot/capture/record" narrative structure, I am no different than one who "shoots/captures/records" weddings..

The only thing different is the pay scale! And the equipment used! And the amount of crew! :P

I get what you're saying, it's all the same under the wider umbrella of "motion picture acquisition" but, professionally the title can matter. Not many "wedding videographers" get hired to shoot $100k commercials or $50m movies.

• Premium Member
Not many "wedding videographers" get hired to shoot $100k commercials or $50m movies.

They're not even getting $7k weddings any more. I have a friend who used to do that. She retired a couple years ago when that business went down hill. With the real estate and financial crash the end of last year, it must really be deader than dead now.

-- J.S.

So when I'm shooting people, especially with a long lens, can I be referred to as a "Sniper"?

You betcha.

cover.jpg

http://shop.lomography.com/zenit/fotosniper/img/cover.jpg

When it comes to taking snap shots, I realized there are two types of shooters: firing squads and snipers.

Most folks seem to be 'firing squads', having the victims stand still.

Me. I'm a sniper, watching and waiting for the perfect candid.

Which is why I find low end digital cameras useless with their long lag times between pulling the triger and firing the bullet.

Way back when I was a lighting assistant for Sports Illustrated we used to call the still photographers "Shooters" because that's all they did, we did all their lighting for them. It really wasn't a compliment.

I don't think I've ever been called a shooter, even when I shot news. What I did hear a lot was "Cameraguy", usually accompanied by someone snapping their fingers to get my attention. Yeah, not real fond of cameraguy. Shooter might be a step up lol as I have shot a few politicians and heads of state, but so far none fatally. ;-)

One trend that does bother me lately is all the ads looking for "RED ONE Cameraman" or "HD Cameraman" or "HVX200 Cameraman". As if the camera we're using defined who we are. Pretty silly. Otherwise I don't care what they call me, as long as they call me. ;-)

Vide well little brothers, vide well. ;-)