First GH1 Feature Film - REJOUER

Illya Friedman

Hello all,

I've been helping some talented filmmakers put together feature film over the last few months. The website finally went live this weekend and I can now talk about the project.

The website/blog for the movie can be found here - www.finndependent.com

The project is also a milestone for myself, because it's the first feature film to use my product, the Hot Rod PL. I'm happy to answer technical questions about the movie to the best of my ability.

I.

Illya Friedman

Hot Rod Cameras

www.hotrodcameras.com

pic_poster.png

• Premium Member

Hi Illya:

I have a question concerning some information you've included in your blog:

http://www.hotrodcameras.com/about/blog/

If I understand correctly, you mention setting the GH1 to ISO 100 is actually equivalent to about ISO 640 on your meter, which seems odd to me.

Do you know if this is typical of DSLR cams? In other words, are ISO settings on DSLR cams typically very different from film?

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant by this?

Thanks for the info you've been posting about the GH1 here & elsewhere!

If I understand correctly, you mention setting the GH1 to ISO 100 is actually equivalent to about ISO 640 on your meter, which seems odd to me.

Do you know if this is typical of DSLR cams? In other words, are ISO settings on DSLR cams typically very different from film?

Or am I misunderstanding what you meant by this?

Hi Peter,

No misunderstanding. You got it right. I agree that it's odd, this has not been my experience with other cameras. So far the most dynamic range (and most pleasing images) is coming from the setting the camera at 100 ISO and rating the meter at 640. Everything in the teaser posted was shot this way (or at 400 ISO rated at 2500!), color correction in the teaser is not final.

The rule of thumb I've found with the GH1, protect your highlights, fill light your shadows.

Edited by Illya Friedman

• 1 month later...

Well, was it a major PIA to use it on a feature? Let's hear it from someone who has actually done it...

GHAAA! EDIT!!!!

OK, re-reading my post I hope it's clear (I know it's not) that this isn't meant to be a dig at Jamie, it's meant as a friendly taunt to the original poster- I'd like to hear more about the shoot. Sorry for any confusion....