24p -> film + a few general HD questions

Angelo Lorenzo

Thought I'd ask in this forum because it deals mostly with frame rate conversions

Now my production company and I have been use to working with Canon XL-1 and XL-2 cameras but we recently made the switch to full 1080p production via the 5Dmk2 cameras.

Previously we had been fine with 29.97fps NTSC standard def cameras for web/tv/DVD but the Canon 5Dmk2 presents some problems with the pure 30fps.

We're working on Adobe Premiere editing stations (we're a start-up and pc workstations were more affordable) and to avoid some of the preview playback hiccups of editing at 30fps, we've been color grading via Photoshop, then using 23.976fps projects and re-rendering in the timeline with no problem. This is great because it's the Bluray standard and a digital broadcast standard.

Now for the actual questions: we may be producing independent films that will be transferred to celluloid so would we end up with a better result if we converted the original 30fps material or the 23.976fps material to 24fps? Our workflow is purely progressive scan now and being self taught, I'm wondering what best practices would be for this.

Also I had trouble finding documentation, how is Premiere Pro handing the reverse pulldown from 30fps to 23.976fps? The clips are shorter so are they blending or dropping frames? or a combination? Also is the audio stretched/pitch matched?

We've had the cameras since July 2nd so we've been scrambling to run all these shooting and editing tests with them before a new production we start in August. We're also under a little stress because of our ties with Panavision, we get to try out as well as develop some workaround solutions for their equipment so it can be made available in the future to 5DmkII and other dSLR based productions.

Edited by Angelo Lorenzo

• Premium Member

It's very hard to convert 30P to 24P smoothly, as opposed to converting 60i origination where at least you have 60 motion samples to work with, not just 30. Reverse pulldown implies 24P with a 3:2 pulldown recorded as 60i being reconverted back to 24P. In this case, there is no hidden pulldown to remove because the original was not 24P.

• Premium Member

Definitely look into Arri's new "Relativity" software package for frame rate conversion. The easy way to go would be to make the whole thing as a 29.97/30 project, and only put the finished product through the conversion. The results are vastly superior to prior technology. FotoKem has Relativity. It's a facility vendor thing, probably quite expensive, and requires an expert operator.

http://www.arri.de/digital_intermediate_sy...relativity.html

-- J.S.