Jennifer's Body

• Premium Member

A trailer has shown up:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=10988

What's odd is that I was asked to color time a PG version (it's weird what you can't show or say in a general audience trailer) of this same trailer a few weeks ago at Fotokem, but the article implies a different trailer entirely is now being released, so I'm not sure what will be shown in theaters over the next month. But this has always been a "tone challenging" movie to make and market.

• Premium Member

Well.. that was sexy... not to mention has some very funny lines ("i've been using the bowflex.")

Looks pretty awesome, and while I'm not really a fan of horror-like films.. I just might go see this, because, yeah, it looks sexy and funny.

How on earth do you PG that type of film for a trailer?

• Premium Member
Well.. that was sexy... not to mention has some very funny lines ("i've been using the bowflex.")

Looks pretty awesome, and while I'm not really a fan of horror-like films.. I just might go see this, because, yeah, it looks sexy and funny.

How on earth do you PG that type of film for a trailer?

I remember they cut just as she is saying "fu---" and they eliminated the flame from the lighter burning her tongue, which sort of makes the shot pointless. And they darkened, shadowed, or turned black any red blood in the shot.

And why they would put a less funny / more horror trailer with "Bruno" of all films is confusing. You'd figure a crowd going to that movie would prefer a more smart-ass trailer.

• Premium Member

Ha, let us know when/if the Pg trailer comes out. it'd be interesting to see 'em side by side.

Work looks really good on this. I'm especially interested in seeing that bedroom scene which I recall had you doing some high speed work with the Phantom (if memory serves)

Well I just went downstairs and checked out the Jennifers body trailer which was definitely intresting. I was a bit suprised to discover I had to keep entering my date of birth every time I wanted to see the trailer. RoboGeisha OTOH can just be watched without this "restriction" despite the fact that it is very mysogenistic and somewhat offensive in other ways too. Weird. I thought the Jennifers Body trailer was preety tame too but maybe a lot of stuff went over my head.

Was a bit suprised to hear a song by the waitresses in a Hollywood movie!

The biggest problem I had was that most of the time I couldn't work out what the evil girl was saying, and the rest of the time I didn't understand what she was saying. She did a good job of doing the mean thing tho. I understood what the other girl was saying tho and liked the "highschool evil" joke a lot. Although in the trailer evil girl just appears to be "highschool evil" with special powers and not evil, evil, whatever that is.

I felt the trailer made the film look genuinely interesting, however I suspect the humour might not travel too well. The fact I can't make out what evil girl is saying won't help either. Not as bad as brokeback mountain where I REALLY couldn't understand what people were saying, and couldn't follow the film whatsoever but still difficult.

It does look like an interesting concept tho.

love

Freya

Great news that this film has the girl from Transformers (and every magazine cover at the moment). That should definitely build some traction. When I followed your notes about the production of this picture, I didn't have any idea it would be something this high profile. Congrats.

The images from the trailer look great and I can't wait to experience it on the screen. As always, thanks for being so generous with information, tips and anecdotes.

Great news that this film has the girl from Transformers (and every magazine cover at the moment). That should definitely build some traction. When I followed your notes about the production of this picture, I didn't have any idea it would be something this high profile. Congrats.

The images from the trailer look great and I can't wait to experience it on the screen. As always, thanks for being so generous with information, tips and anecdotes.

The other actress also starred in "Mean Girls" which may also be something of a pull with the target audience (at least the female section) and which is also a much better film than transformers! ;)

Actually the casting seems very well thought out from a marketing angle.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

Getting back to cinematography, all my favourite shots in this trailer were only on screen for a few seconds. I guess they weren't the funny bits but I'd love to have seen them for longer.

In paticular I liked the shot of nice girl sitting in the realm. :)

It's intresting to see a comedy film with cinematography of this standard, normally a comedy horror film will feel it doesn't have to bother but I guess this film is more tongue in cheek with both realism and sillyness. I think thats a good combination.

love

Freya

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
What's odd is that I was asked to color time a PG version (it's weird what you can't show or say in a general audience trailer) of this same trailer a few weeks ago at Fotokem............

When the MPAA announced a return to red band trailers I wrote them a letter (yes, a real letter) expressing my concern that a parent could take a child to an "R" movie they thought appropriate for their kid (perhaps an action adventure movie) only to have the theatre show a red band for a very heavy sex movie they found inappropriate for their child.

I received a very thoughtful letter back that they were well aware of that sort of content conflict and red band trailers were only to be shown with films of compatible content. I suspect their rules for editing red band trailers are pretty arcane and many producers opt for tamer "G" and "PG" versions if only because they know red band trailers are tightly restricted and by definition somewhat limited in release.

• Premium Member
Boy, I am seeing commercials everywhere for this thing now. :D

Yeah, it's everywhere. I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing it. The movie looks much more in the tone of classic 80s horror rather than the current shock value movies.

Guest Tim Partridge
Yeah, it's everywhere. I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing it. The movie looks much more in the tone of classic 80s horror rather than the current shock value movies.

I think the film seems much more post ironic, 1990s, like an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Looks suitably slick and glossy, David. Love the matte shot also of the suburban street at night.

• Premium Member
Looks suitably slick and glossy, David. Love the matte shot also of the suburban street at night.

That's not a matte shot, I actually lit that wide shot... Here's a shot I took from ground level with my fingers blacking out the condor with the two 18K's on it -- the real shot in the movie was a high angle to get the lights out of the frame. No post efx.

jb25.jpg