Paper tape = Painter's tape?

Joe Riggs

I'm looking for paper tape and my only options are major stores like Walmart and Home Depot. I haven't any "paper tape" but painter's tape seems to be similar. Is it the same and will it work as an alternative to paper tape on set?

Not really. "Real" paper tape (used on sets) is made by companies such as ProGaf, Permacell, and A&E.

Now, let me reverse, or be more specific in reference to your two questions:

"Is it the same and will it work as an alternative to paper tape on set?"

No, and perhaps.

-DW

Edited by Daniel Wallens

• Premium Member
I'm looking for paper tape and my only options are major stores like Walmart and Home Depot.

Why? You can easily order it online if you're not close to an expendables store: http://www.filmtools.com/percolprinkr.html.

Is it the same?

No. Paper tape is more opaque and a bit thicker, making it better for labels.

Will it work as an alternative to paper tape on set?

In some cases, yes. You could use it for floor marks in a pinch but normally you'd use different colors for each actor. Painter's tape only comes in blue, as far as I know. It's probably easier to just order the right stuff online...

There's no real substitute for 2" matte black paper tape either, very useful stuff for making impromptu hard mattes, blacking out stands, taping down cable, making paper mustaches...

Edited by Satsuki Murashige

• Premium Member
There's no real substitute for 2" matte black paper tape either, very useful stuff for making impromptu hard mattes, blacking out stands, taping down cable, making paper mustaches...

Don't forget it's just right for elvis sideburns, too.

• Premium Member

Painters tape generally comes comes in a variety of different strength tackiness, most of which are quite a bit less than paper tape I believe. But if that's all you got, that's all you got. It's not the end of the world.

• Premium Member
I'm looking for paper tape and my only options are major stores like Walmart and Home Depot. I haven't any "paper tape" but painter's tape seems to be similar. Is it the same and will it work as an alternative to paper tape on set?

What Country are you in? I ask this because I'm wondering why you say you only have Walmart and Home Depot type stores at your disposal. You can buy paper tape online.

Studiodepot.com

filmtools.com

just to name a few