(500) Days of Summer

Now that people are seeing the film I wanted to get the topic out of the "In Production" category.

The movie opens next week and has been getting some really great feedback and reviews from free screenings the studio has been putting on. ICG also published a nice article on the film in this month's issue that contains a lot of behind the scenes information.

I also highly recommend Fox Searchlight's website for the film as well as a fan site at www.500days.com. The marketing for the film is impressive and it's nice to be involved with this studio again.

Awesome, man. I'm totally going to catch this. Any word on Bandslam? I ran into Michael Cuomo at a screening of his short film "Happy New Year" which is being turned into a feature, we got to talking and he mentioned another role he was in and described the story which sounded a lot like your post for Will, it was and he was surprised I had known the former name "Will." He has nothing but compliments for you and your work.

Hey Eric!

Can't wait to see the movie! I was skimming on the movie's IMDB page and saw a behind the scenes photo of a scene being shot with what seems to be the RED One...it seems like a scene with zooey and joseph dressed as sid and nancy i think.

From what I recall on your journal the movie was shot on Super35. I don't recall any mention on the RED One (maybe I missed it somewhere on the boards?). Is this photo accurate? Did shoot part of the movie digitally? Did you use the camera to shoot some pickups maybe?

Just wondering after I saw the photo.

I think this is the link:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3173812224/tt1022603

The RED was used by the director to film a short based on dialogue between the characters in the movie. Part of the trailer alludes to them comparing their relationship to that of Sid & Nancy so Marc brought them together again to do this little promo.

I wasn't involved in this shoot but I can only assume it was shot on RED as a cost consideration since it was a marketing piece meant for the web. I just saw it for the first time the other day....very good. I found out that my gaffer from the movie, Eric Forand, was hired to do this promo as well.

So yes, you're correct. The movie was all 35 and 16 (b&w).

Less than 24 hours to go...

I was just reading the NY Times review of the movie and noticed they have an Anatomy of a Scene feature which I think is unique to their site right now. It's a musical/fantasy sequence narrated by Marc Webb in which he discusses the use of color. I thought it may interest some people here.

Anatomy of a Scene

• Premium Member

I'm not going to read the NYT stuff until after I go see the film. Don't even know what it's about and I don't want to know. Loved what you did in Juno so much that that's enough reason for me ;).

Less than 24 hours to go...

I was just reading the NY Times review of the movie and noticed they have an Anatomy of a Scene feature which I think is unique to their site right now. It's a musical/fantasy sequence narrated by Marc Webb in which he discusses the use of color. I thought it may interest some people here.

Anatomy of a Scene

Saw this tonight. Really liked it - great work.

"Roses are red. Violets are blue. **(obscenity removed)** you, whore."

R.

• Premium Member

Saw this in March/April at the Florida Film Festival and I absolutely loved it! I've been spreading the word on the film and will be checking it out again...

loved the train sequence btw!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Eric,

Went to see this with my wife last night at the Pasadena Laemmle 7. It was pretty funny, well written and well acted. The projection at this theatre wasn't all that great, (the picture looked a little muddy) but the cinematography was really well done. Without saying too much, I think that "morning after" scene is an absolute classic.

Great work.

-Fran

• Premium Member

Well Eric,

You're officially Arclight worthy :) . Saw the 10:15 showing tonight. I really liked it, of course. There were a few things I noticed.

Quite a few times, I found myself wishing segments were longer. There was the beautiful shot of the car going into the tunnel and I just wish it lingered. Also when Tom was walking out of a tunnel, I wish we didn't cut away so soon.

A fair amount of cuts were almost jump cuts just to speed things up, and I found they interfered with the shot developing even more nicely.

It almost felt like there were two styles of the filming: one arty and daring and the other locked down and direct. With the talking scenes in the cubicles, I just wanted the camera to move more. JMHO of course.

I loved the shot of Tom in the conference room when he talks about being lied to with the big Santa Claus just out of focus behind him--which of course hearkens back to an early conversation between him and Summer. And the sequence in the train with the golden light covering Tom and Summer's faces was gorgeous.

The wardrobe looked a little Seattle/Portland, even understanding that these characters are more Silver Lake than Studio City.

I also wish I saw more hesitation by Summer when she was around Tom. I didn't understand the "Graduate"'s meaning for her. Perhaps I just missed something, LOL. I almost thought Tom should go and break-up her wedding, a la Dustin Hoffman. (Well, I guess she could have seen her relationship with Tom as analogous to the would be wedding in the "Graduate.")

The audience was laughing heartily during the film and clapping loudly at the end, and I certainly enjoyed watching your amazing work.

If you care to comment on any of the above, I'd of course be all ears.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Hey Eric,

We've never met but I wanted to say great work! Beautiful film. Loved the mix of guages & aspect ratios. I definitely saw the 35mm and b/w 16mm but I also thought there was some S8mm color in the title sequence. Anyway... I already sent my congrats to Hussey for the color/DI work. He did a great job too!

Best,

Paul