GY-HM700U Thoughts?

Anthony Sipsas

Im starting to research various prosumer camcorders and its been sometime since I've looked at whats on the market. Jumping back on company websites and doing a little research, it seems that JVCs GY-HM700U seems to be the best choice for cost/performance.

Its got ability to interchange lenses, and a wide variety of Film formats to choose from.

For anyone whos used this, how is the quality of the image vs others in its class?

Is there anything else out there that has similar (or better) functionality for around the same price?

If anyone can point me in a direction where I can find more info about this as well, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Anthony

Im starting to research various prosumer camcorders and its been sometime since I've looked at whats on the market. Jumping back on company websites and doing a little research, it seems that JVCs GY-HM700U seems to be the best choice for cost/performance.

Its got ability to interchange lenses, and a wide variety of Film formats to choose from.

For anyone whos used this, how is the quality of the image vs others in its class?

Is there anything else out there that has similar (or better) functionality for around the same price?

If anyone can point me in a direction where I can find more info about this as well, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Anthony

Anthony

I started my search for a camera around 3 months ago. It came down to the Sony ex3, the panasonic 300 and the jvc 700.

I liked the image of the Sony ex3 and a 1/2" chip is great. I didn't like the way it sits on the shoulder. Very front heavy. Plus the sxs cards are pricey.

The panasonic 300 was tempting with a full 1920x1080 chip. By the time I buy the camera with lens, batteries and p2 cards the price was getting pretty high.

So I landed on the jvc 700 with the fuji 17x lens. I love how it sits on my shoulder. Everything is laid out well. The LCD is big and clear. The 1280x720 images are very crisp. Much better than the 1920x1080 interlaced. The media is cheap. Especially an off brand like Transcend. My only complaint so far is the blacks are a touch noisy. For the price it is a pretty incedible camera.

I hope to try the PL mount with prime lenses in the future.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
The 1280x720 images are very crisp. Much better than the 1920x1080 interlaced. The media is cheap. Especially an off brand like Transcend. My only complaint so far is the blacks are a touch noisy. For the price it is a pretty incredible camera.

Jon

Thanks for the Insight Jon. The more I look into it, the more it seems its the best bang for the buck.

Ill definitely look into it a bit more.

Best,

Anthony

• 2 months later...

Best,

Anthony

i have to choose between the Sony PMW ex3 and the JVC gyhm 700.

i will use the camera for both documentary and fiction/narrative.

the sony is 1080, what is the JVC? from the B&H specs it seems the JVC is 720. how much of a difference is this in image quality?

apparently the 1/2 inch sony sensor and the 1/3 inch JVC sensor differences are pretty much equalised once you put on the Letus lens converter and other lenses. is this true?

i'm desperate to know ASAP, as i HAVE to buy the camera buy this coming tuesday, 29th for shoot starting sun 4th.

please HELP, i'm drowing in indecision.

Thanks all :blink:

• 8 months later...

Anthony

I started my search for a camera around 3 months ago. It came down to the Sony ex3, the panasonic 300 and the jvc 700.

I liked the image of the Sony ex3 and a 1/2" chip is great. I didn't like the way it sits on the shoulder. Very front heavy. Plus the sxs cards are pricey.

The panasonic 300 was tempting with a full 1920x1080 chip. By the time I buy the camera with lens, batteries and p2 cards the price was getting pretty high.

So I landed on the jvc 700 with the fuji 17x lens. I love how it sits on my shoulder. Everything is laid out well. The LCD is big and clear. The 1280x720 images are very crisp. Much better than the 1920x1080 interlaced. The media is cheap. Especially an off brand like Transcend. My only complaint so far is the blacks are a touch noisy. For the price it is a pretty incedible camera.

I hope to try the PL mount with prime lenses in the future.

Jon