Konvas 1KCP-1M, need information

Simon D Lorady

I am looking at getting a Konvas 1KCP-1M, comes with lens, power supply, everything really. I want to use it to shoot a feature that I am about to begin. I have never shot anything 35mm before, so this is a first for me, and I have some questions if anyone is familiar with this camera:

1. Can this be set up sound sync or do I not have to?

2. Is there a adapter so I may used PL lenses on it?

3. Are there larger magazines (1000ft, etc) made for it?

4. Is this camera a piece of poop? (brand name and what it can do I mean)

If I think of anything else I will post them. I am tossed up between a 16mm or this 35mm, I am just trying to think what will be the less work in post.

Thanks for reading this and for your help.

Simon

• Premium Member
I am looking at getting a Konvas 1KCP-1M, comes with lens, power supply, everything really. I want to use it to shoot a feature that I am about to begin. I have never shot anything 35mm before, so this is a first for me, and I have some questions if anyone is familiar with this camera:

1. Can this be set up sound sync or do I not have to?

2. Is there a adapter so I may used PL lenses on it?

3. Are there larger magazines (1000ft, etc) made for it?

4. Is this camera a piece of poop? (brand name and what it can do I mean)

If I think of anything else I will post them. I am tossed up between a 16mm or this 35mm, I am just trying to think what will be the less work in post.

Thanks for reading this and for your help.

Simon

1. Simple answer is no, this is an MOS camera not made for sync sound filming. It is loud, that's the way it was designed. It is also very small, compact and cheap, that's the trade off. You can use precise crystal sync motors with it, but recording sound while filming for use in the sound track is not recommended.

2. It uses a 3 lens turret, and there are some people that replace the turret with a plate that has a PL mount. I think Sergey Kravchenko has had a modified 1M with PL mount for sale. Les Bosher comes to mind as some one who could do it. But why not just use the Lomos? Set up properly they are excellent lenses and very inexpensive, especially in the OCT18 mount used in the 1M.

3. The biggest mags available are the 400' variety. That's 4.5 minutes of filming, should be enough for most uses.

4. No, a well maintained Konvas is not a piece of poop. It can be an excellent tool capable of making quite stunning images in the right hands (check out "The Cranes are Flying"). That said, they are a very old design and require a fairly high degree of maintenance, so don't think you're going to buy one and go out and shoot your feature without a complete maintenance service which can cost $1000 or so (camera body, all mags, viewfinder system, motor, etc).

If it does what you want it to do for your project, it could work out great for you. It can make very good pictures. It is a highly portable, compact camera that's easy to place in difficult places. It is awkward to hand hold. it's noisy, it uses great cheap lenses, the biggest mags are 400'. If that's not what you need, then you will be much better off getting gear that fits your project.

Adam Frey of the Konvas.org group made a feature with his 1M, "Hunting Dragonflies." You might contact him to look at a copy and talk over your plans.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

Konvas and Kinor Rentals

www.indi35.com

Here's a clip from "The Cranes are Flying" :

clip

Yes, A scenes from "The Cranes are Flying" : have value of " New art style at filmmaking ".

Konvas use for shooting of first reels from space ( cosmos), cosmonaut Vladimir Titov, 1962.

Konvas use at shooting of film of Andrey Tarkovsky "Ivan's Childhood"

http://www.ilovecinema.ru/films/ivanovo_detstvo/

• 6 months later...
1. Simple answer is no, this is an MOS camera not made for sync sound filming. It is loud, that's the way it was designed. It is also very small, compact and cheap, that's the trade off. You can use precise crystal sync motors with it, but recording sound while filming for use in the sound track is not recommended.

2. It uses a 3 lens turret, and there are some people that replace the turret with a plate that has a PL mount. I think Sergey Kravchenko has had a modified 1M with PL mount for sale. Les Bosher comes to mind as some one who could do it. But why not just use the Lomos? Set up properly they are excellent lenses and very inexpensive, especially in the OCT18 mount used in the 1M.

3. The biggest mags available are the 400' variety. That's 4.5 minutes of filming, should be enough for most uses.

4. No, a well maintained Konvas is not a piece of poop. It can be an excellent tool capable of making quite stunning images in the right hands (check out "The Cranes are Flying"). That said, they are a very old design and require a fairly high degree of maintenance, so don't think you're going to buy one and go out and shoot your feature without a complete maintenance service which can cost $1000 or so (camera body, all mags, viewfinder system, motor, etc).

If it does what you want it to do for your project, it could work out great for you. It can make very good pictures. It is a highly portable, compact camera that's easy to place in difficult places. It is awkward to hand hold. it's noisy, it uses great cheap lenses, the biggest mags are 400'. If that's not what you need, then you will be much better off getting gear that fits your project.

Adam Frey of the Konvas.org group made a feature with his 1M, "Hunting Dragonflies." You might contact him to look at a copy and talk over your plans.

Good luck,

Bruce Taylor

Konvas and Kinor Rentals

www.indi35.com

Yes Bruce it's a good idea i buy a dvd copy from Adam of is film i watch this low budget film 2 time it's give you a very good idea of what the camera Konvas M1 is capable. The M2 got better lens!

But i very like SHADOW of FORGETTEN ANCESTOR BY Sergei Paradjanov made in 1964

If any have see some great Russian film let me know.