Optex 5.5mm T2 lens

• Premium Member

Mark,

I'm interested in finding out more about this lens. Got any pictures of it?

Also noticed on this thread over at RedUser, the following line from your post on April 13 2009:

"And the Optex 5.5 has now sold. I've still got the Zeiss 12mm."

Is this the same lens or do you have two of them?

Best,

-Tim

Thanks Tim. Yes, it's the same lens. The guy who promised to buy it turned out to be a bit flakey, so it's now back on the market, at a reduced price.

For similar reasons, I am now also returning my Optar Illumina 50mm 1.3 to the market as well, for $1000. You can see photos of both lenses at

http://www.mightymaxfilms.com/extranet/lens_sale/

Thank you for your interest. Let me know if you have any questions.

--Mark

• Premium Member

Mark,

How would you rate that Optex 5.5 as far as contrast, color, and sharpness? If we look at a scale of Zeiss Super Speed Mk1's on one side, slightly cool, medium contrast, sharp, to Cooke Kinetals on the other side, warm, higher contrast, sharp, where would you say the Optex 5.5 falls. More toward the Zeiss Super Speeds or more toward the Cooke Kinetals?

Do you have any footage shot with this lens that may be posted on the internet?

And, just to be clear, the Optex 5.5 will cover Super 16, correct?

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Ugh, had you posted this a week ago I'd've bought the 50 as opposed to a car!

Lol do you take GMAC financing?

good luck selling it Mark, and if you can't get it off of your hands, do drop me a line if you're ever interested in working out a payment plan

Mark,

How would you rate that Optex 5.5 as far as contrast, color, and sharpness? If we look at a scale of Zeiss Super Speed Mk1's on one side, slightly cool, medium contrast, sharp, to Cooke Kinetals on the other side, warm, higher contrast, sharp, where would you say the Optex 5.5 falls. More toward the Zeiss Super Speeds or more toward the Cooke Kinetals?

Do you have any footage shot with this lens that may be posted on the internet?

And, just to be clear, the Optex 5.5 will cover Super 16, correct?

Best,

-Tim

Great question, Tim. I'm not personally familiar with the Cookes, but I've done a number of projects where we intercut shots from the Optex with various generations of Zeiss SuperSpeeds. They were all for video transfer, so this isn't as exacting as it would have to be for photochemical finishing, but the color and sharpness seemed to match the zeiss lenses really well, but I think the Optex might be a touch warmer.

You can see a few examples of shots with that lens on our website. The shots are pretty easy to spot--they're the really wide-angle perspectives.

It does cover Super16 just fine, and offers a really beautiful wide angle perspective with minimal distortion (for a 5.5mm).

http://www.mightymaxfilms.com/item.php?ite...llection_id=001

http://www.mightymaxfilms.com/item.php?ite...llection_id=001

Talk to you soon--