The List of Must have Blu-ray Movies

Sweeney Todd has an absolutely gorgeous transfer. I just got The Watchmen which I'm excited to see today. And, shameless plug, but Repo! The Genetic Opera, which I shot on Genesis for Lionsgate, cinematography aside, has an absolutely stunning transfer - Genesis to Blu-Ray is a beautiful thing. And since it made no money in theaters, it's a BARGAIN at amazon and your local mega store :)

Genesis to Blu-Ray is a beautiful thing.

It is if nothing bad happens in the chain.

Apocalypto

The Other Boleyn Girl

On the other hand

Next

Before the Devil Knows You Are Dead

have aliasing issues on the Blu Ray which I doubt are like that on the master.

Yes all those aliasing artifacts are the fault of all these industry professionals who work for CBS and NBC and think that only interlace 1080i is "Full High Definition". What interlace scanning really is is not only a joke but a good way to screw up a picture.

• Premium Member
Yes all those aliasing artifacts are the fault of all these industry professionals who work for CBS and NBC and think that only interlace 1080i is "Full High Definition". What interlace scanning really is is not only a joke but a good way to screw up a picture.

Not really true... when shooting with a digital camera, aliasing due to the sensor's grid pattern of photosites interacting with fine lines in the scene is a common problem. I was just watching "Towelhead" (shot on the Genesis) on DVD and there's a shingled rooftop in one scene that is aliasing. I run into the problem all the time when shooting on digital cinema cameras.

If the aliasing is not built into the original photography, then there are anti-aliasing tricks in post that can be applied to reduce the problem when the footage is viewed on a monitor. But once it's photographed into the image, it's very hard to get rid of.

And you can have aliasing problems with progressive-scan displays too. It just happens whenever you are displaying one image with fine grid patterns in it on the fine grid pattern of the monitor.