Dalsa discontinued?

Lars Zemskih

• Premium Member
love this discussion, I'd specially mention the BASF company (aka IG FARBEN) for their well-known product Zyklon-B.

Now be fair; IG Farben developed Zyklon B as a pesticide; they never intended it to be used on humans.

The original Zyklon-B incorporated a strong-smelling warning odorant which would produce a foul smell long before the cyanide levels were high enough to be dangerous. It was popular because after fumigation, simple airing out would disperse the gas leaving no residue.

The Nazi military ordered Zyklon-B to made without the odorant, a very serious offense at the time which was nonetheless completely disregarded.

Zyklon- B is still manufactured in some places, but not under that name.

The irony is that it was invented by Fritz Haber, a Jew, who also invented the Haber processs for making ammonia, which allowed Germany to continue to produce explosives long after traditional sources of nitrogen compounds were cut off.

Hey guys,

love this discussion, I'd specially mention the BASF company (aka IG FARBEN) for their well-known product Zyklon-B.

Don't you thing it's bit away from the HD cameras topic?

I don't love this discussion.

As I inadvertently started it, and people took it as me criticizing Dalsa as supporting military attrocities or something, can we please continue it on another thread, preferably in the "Off Topic" forum?

Please?

• 3 weeks later...
No, I don't. How about starting another thread, rather than, once again, resurrecting this abortion.

Umm.... cause the last post was all of two weeks ago... in a practically dead sub-forum. Why use more server resources to start a new thread for a simple question? It's not like I dig up an old thread... this was the first thread in the sub-forum.

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

• Premium Member
Does anybody know if there's any Orgin or Evolution camera bodies floating around for sale?

Unlikely that they're being sold -- Rob Hummel is at Post Logic now, if anybody would know what became of them, he would. I saw him at DV Expo on Wednesday, but didn't think to ask.

-- J.S.

Umm.... cause the last post was all of two weeks ago... in a practically dead sub-forum. Why use more server resources to start a new thread for a simple question? It's not like I dig up an old thread... this was the first thread in the sub-forum.

Thanks Andrew :)

• Premium Member
I know where they are, and they are not for sale. And anyway, what would you do with them? You couldn't deal with the files in any way without special hardware and software.

If you could get the whole package -- cameras and the post hardware and software -- you could still rent them out for shooting plates. It would be very much like having VistaVision gear.

I sorta gather from your first sentence that you know the whole story, you're under some obligation not to reveal it.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

I heard the entire 4k package at one point was available which would include all the Origins (I & II) as well as the three(?) Evolutions that were produced along with their Codex recorders and a bunch of lenses, etc for under $10million. This of course would come with no support, but is still a pretty good deal for the right investor considering how much just the ten(?) or so Codexs are worth. I heard this a long time ago and may not have ever been that accurate.

As for what to do with the files it creates, well certainly not that hard to deal with. Its just a lot of data. The company Elhanan and I started was able to handle Dalsa material for a relatively minimal cost. You could use the software Dalsa developed to handle their own RAW files or use the Iridas solutions already in place.

I'm still sad to see the cameras go.

• 1 year later...

I think you and John misunderstand me, Freya.

I am not saying that Dalsa is in any way to blame about what their cameras are used for, just as Arri was/is not to blame.

What I was trying to say is that night vision footage of Iraqis getting torn limb from limb wasn't a good way to sell their cameras' cinematographic capabilities to capture beautiful imagery.

What I was trying to say is as simple as that; so I don't see the need to elaborate further.

Karl,

I agree with you that there is no need to elaborate further. I personally didn't

take your post as a moral indictment of the Dalsa Corporation, and I hope no one

else did.

Not sure how your post got turned into a dissertation on morality so suddenly.

all the best,

-Jerry Murrel

Little Rock