Compositing inspirations

We have a film we just shot in post at Optimus here in Chicago. One of the scenes is shot straight from the "hood" of a car and frames the driver and passenger full-on. The steering wheel, dashboard and seats were pulled and re-built from a real Cadillac, everything else will composite in. The scene is at night on a country road so the scene will be pretty dark outside the actor's faces.

So my question - what driving scenes from films, shot on green screen, do you really like? I'm deciding what I might want animated on the windshield, how I might want the car to respond to a relatively smooth pavement and finally what the back plate might look like (we still haven't shot it). Night would obviously be ideal.

Any scene suggestions for reference? The less stylized, the more realistic, the better for this particular film.

Thanks!

Schmüdde

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

I'd check out films which have done this 'for real' rather than based 'in front of a greenscreen'. That said you could look at something like Sin City or Fast and Furious for greenscreen'd driving shots.

Otherwise check out stuff like American Graffiti, Mad Max, Lost Highway, Death Proof, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Kiss Me Deadly, Two Lane Blacktop, Thelma and Louise, From Dusk 'til Dawn, Sideways, Vanishing Point.

Cheers,

Will

• 3 weeks later...

That's good advice Will. Why not start at the "top" (real) and work your way "down" (fx) to get an idea of what looks best. I'm going over to netflix right now.

Deciding whether or not to have animations on the windshield to indicate motion at night has been one of the more difficult decisions.

Thanks!

Schmüdde

Hi David,

I'd check out films which have done this 'for real' rather than based 'in front of a greenscreen'. That said you could look at something like Sin City or Fast and Furious for greenscreen'd driving shots.

Otherwise check out stuff like American Graffiti, Mad Max, Lost Highway, Death Proof, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Kiss Me Deadly, Two Lane Blacktop, Thelma and Louise, From Dusk 'til Dawn, Sideways, Vanishing Point.

Cheers,

Will