NFTS 2010 Cinematography Workshop

Hi All,

I got a call today from the NFTS asking me to attend a 3day workshop at the school in just over 2 weeks. I'm told 16 people are offered a chance to come, but only 8 get offered a shot at the actual MA course.

I'm from South Africa and have little to no experience of foreign graduate school systems and the way they evaluate potential candidates. Can anyone please give me some info on what to expect at this workshop, what they are looking for, and any tips or pointers.

I'll be flying in all the way from SA so really cannot afford to mess up this chance...

I'd be so grateful for any information,

cheers

Hi,

good news on getting through to the workshop. Did you fly over for the interview or was it conducted by phone??

I've also got down to the last 16 and was coming to post on here pretty much the same question.

I'm not sure at all what the workshop involves or even what kit to take with me, if any.

Morgan Peline who is a forum member graduated from the cinematography course there so maybe he will be able to shed some light on it for us.

Anyway good luck with it and i guess i will see you there.

Stephen

Nice one you two. I was one of the unlucky ones that didn't get through unfortunately. One of the many!

Out of interest, Stephen, Matthew, did you both submit showreels of work you'd shot for other people, or film/s you'd both directed and shot yourself?

It's impossible to know what they're looking for (they know what it is when they see it), but from chatting to Brian on the open day it seems that they like to see applications (good ones, of course) that have been shot and directed by the applicant, so they can be sure that the grasp on storytelling belongs to the applicant too, as well as the visuals. Make sense?

Morgan may be able to help out with info, yes. We worked together briefly many years ago at Hot Animation, although he may not remember me...!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I submitted work I had shot and directed mostly, I think there was one film on there that had been directed by someone else. I'm also not sure what the NFTS looks for in an applicant. What I do know for sure is that getting there is hard, I went last year for a Directing interview and never got further. I'm also pretty sure the other 15 people who'll be on the workshop are all talented and show enormous potential. So I'm really just happy I'll get to spend three days bouncing ideas with these guys and gals and hopefully more comes of it.

Stephen man I watched some of your shorts, they are the Rivington films stuff right?

Jamie what was the majority of your reel, had u studied somewhere else before this, or where they films shot on the fly with friends?

Anyway, to all going to the workshop I really look forward to meeting u, it should be alot of fun and good learning experience if nothing else...also I'm South African, so Im quite keen so see how you British folk look at cinematography...

Oh, stephen, any word on what kit we will need? I arrive in the UK the day before, and I know from past experience I can't take dust off and such stuff with. I also have the worst stocked kit bag in the world anyway...

Nice one you two. I was one of the unlucky ones that didn't get through unfortunately. One of the many!

Out of interest, Stephen, Matthew, did you both submit showreels of work you'd shot for other people, or film/s you'd both directed and shot yourself?

It's impossible to know what they're looking for (they know what it is when they see it), but from chatting to Brian on the open day it seems that they like to see applications (good ones, of course) that have been shot and directed by the applicant, so they can be sure that the grasp on storytelling belongs to the applicant too, as well as the visuals. Make sense?

Morgan may be able to help out with info, yes. We worked together briefly many years ago at Hot Animation, although he may not remember me...!

Jamie

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't studied previously (well, French and Music at Leeds a few years back), I've just learnt on the job. I was a camera assistant for a long time, and have been shooting more these past couple of years. I have a fledgling website here: www.jamiekennerley.com

I have made my own films, but everything I submitted was directed by other people, which perhaps wasn't the things to do. It doesn't show your mind working to the same extent as if you've directed if yourself. I'll get some new stuff of my own shot for next year then, and see if that makes a difference.

But you're right, getting in there is HARD. So well done again for having made it this far.

Jamie

Actually Matthew,

I know of a doc that's coming to South Africa and is looking for a cameraman - I think shooting Z1/Z7 combination. Would you be interested if I pass on your details?

If so drop me an email at: jamiekennerley@hotmail.com with details of how to contact you.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I submitted work I had shot and directed mostly, I think there was one film on there that had been directed by someone else. I'm also not sure what the NFTS looks for in an applicant. What I do know for sure is that getting there is hard, I went last year for a Directing interview and never got further. I'm also pretty sure the other 15 people who'll be on the workshop are all talented and show enormous potential. So I'm really just happy I'll get to spend three days bouncing ideas with these guys and gals and hopefully more comes of it.

Stephen man I watched some of your shorts, they are the Rivington films stuff right?

Jamie what was the majority of your reel, had u studied somewhere else before this, or where they films shot on the fly with friends?

Anyway, to all going to the workshop I really look forward to meeting u, it should be alot of fun and good learning experience if nothing else...also I'm South African, so Im quite keen so see how you British folk look at cinematography...

Oh, stephen, any word on what kit we will need? I arrive in the UK the day before, and I know from past experience I can't take dust off and such stuff with. I also have the worst stocked kit bag in the world anyway...

Hi,

No my stuff isn't the Rivington film stuff, i have no association with them. Sadly my parents decided to give me the most common English name, not a great start for a budding cinematographer...

I'm still really unsure of what to take, i suppose its better to have too much and not using any of it than not having anything at all.