Backlighting House dust

Hello folks,

House dust in late afternoon. Warm sunlight coming in and illuminating natural dust in the air and off the furniture. Anybody know what I can use for the best effect of the dust? Is thick dust the best to stockpile and use for the shoot? Is it just one strong light source backlighting it? If anyone has any ideas on a good way to achieve this effect, I would be obliged. Thanks.

-S.C.

• Premium Member
Hello folks,

House dust in late afternoon. Warm sunlight coming in and illuminating natural dust in the air and off the furniture. Anybody know what I can use for the best effect of the dust? Is thick dust the best to stockpile and use for the shoot? Is it just one strong light source backlighting it? If anyone has any ideas on a good way to achieve this effect, I would be obliged. Thanks.

-S.C.

Most of the time, a hazer works fine for that look, but if you want to see actual particulate matter floating in a close shot, then the question is what do you want your actors to breathe and for how long? For a few shots, you can get plenty of real dust with a really bright sharp backlight and just banging some pillows together. But for longer scenes, they used to use Fullers Earth before it was outlawed for stage work, and then they suggested ground walnut shells, though I'm not sure how great that is to breathe either. You have to figure anything big enough to be seen in the air is not great for your lungs...

• Premium Member
You have to figure anything big enough to be seen in the air is not great for your lungs...

Would a painter's mask filter out particles that big?

Scott, I'm really curious to know what the story is - I had an idea for a short years ago that involved a dust mote coming to life which started with a scene like this. Wish I knew about the forum then, I could have really used this info...

Would a painter's mask filter out particles that big?

Scott, I'm really curious to know what the story is - I had an idea for a short years ago that involved a dust mote coming to life which started with a scene like this. Wish I knew about the forum then, I could have really used this info...

Hey there,

Bless you all and these forums. Better than school. Less expensive too. The story is a southern Gothic. First few scenes take place inside a country house. I've always enjoyed watching house dust float around in the late afternoon sunlight spilling in through a window and blinds . Even before I was interested in film lighting, I enjoyed this visual.