General Lens question

David Anderson

Hello,

I just purchased a 5DMKII for my still photography work but am *very* intrigued with it's HD video capabilities. I've shot a few corporate video projects with a Sony V1U and am excited to learn more about what the 5D can do. So far, I'm impressed.

My question has to do with glass:

- I see some discussion about using Nikon G series of lenses with the 16-9.net adapter. What is so special about these lenses in the way they function over Canon?

- Is there a good "starter lens" to get? Prime or Zoom?

- Any pitfalls with lenses to watch out for?

Thanks much!

Dave

• Premium Member

For filming with the 5d2 the older lenses may be a better choice because of they are not piezo (motor) controlled. canon calls this ultrasonic and writes it on the barrel of each lens. For still photography this allows a very fast autofocus which is (let's say) counterproductive when filming. You often have a 180 deg. rotation on the lens barrel to go through the whole focus range and the distance is always on the same spot (*). This is important when you want to use a follow focus unit.

(*) a major drawback on adapted lenses is that the flange focal distance varies so the markings are incorrect. The adapted lens will not focus to infinity.

The newer Zeiss lenses are basically all manual and probably the best choice when you want to buy new lenses. If you buy new lenses: Check how they breathe and use the faster primes only. I'd not recommend any zoom lenses except Canon's very own 70-200 IS 2.8.

Good luck.